April 24, 2024, 02:52:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Conformational strain in eclipsed ethane  (Read 5277 times)

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Conformational strain in eclipsed ethane
« on: May 20, 2009, 04:06:37 PM »
What are the interactions going on here?

Offline James Newby

• Mole Snacks: +13/-3
Re: Conformational strain in eclipsed ethane
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
Have you drawn the Newman projection for eclipsed ethane?

wiki of newman projection:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newman_projection
4th year undergraduate at the University of Sheffield

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »
I haven't drawn it recently, but I know what it looks like  :P  The hydrogens are, I believe, too far from one another for the interaction to be steric.

Offline James Newby

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 04:37:32 PM »
Well its the only interaction that can be occuring.  If you compare the eclipsed form to the staggered form, which one will be higher in energy?

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »
Eclipsed.  When I was taught this in organic I, my professor said the reason for the strain in eclipsed ethane is above the level of the course, but would be willing to explain it after class if anyone was curious.  I was a dummy and didn't want to confuse myself on the material, so I didn't bother asking.  I think it had something to do with orbital interactions.

Edit: Hm, maybe he was just referencing electrostatic repulsion.  Just going to send him an email to ask.

Offline James Newby

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 05:05:32 PM »
Its conformational strain.  Its only a small amount, and almost any other effect will dominate over it.

http://research.cm.utexas.edu/nbauld/teach/ethane.html just the top section

This is just to make sure you are aware of bonds rotating.  Have you done any studies on 6 membered carbon rings yet?

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 07:17:05 PM »
From my professor -

The BMO electronic repulsion you mention is only part of the story.  Keep in mind that conformational strain may be defined as the energy required to promote a bond rotation away from the lowest energy conformation.  In a staggered, antiperiplanar conformation there is effectively no electrostatic repulsion between the bonding MOs of the atoms or functional groups sharing the 180 degree dihedral angle, AND there is a favorable s-s* delocalization (i.e., hyperconjugation) between the groups under consideration.  In a synperiplanar conformation where the dihedral angle approaches 0 degrees, there may be some steric repulsion (not w/ hydrogens) as well as a modest electrostatic repulsion between the relevant BMOs.  However, the lack of a benefical hyperconjugative stabilization (no bonding s-s* interaction is possible) creates the greatest energy penalty relative to the antiperiplanar orientation where that stabilizing interaction is maximized (see attached diagram). 'Synperiplanar' and 'antiperiplanar' are not used to described conformers in ethane (only 'eclipsed' and 'staggered' are generally used), but I've employed the periplanar terminology so that you can extend the explanation to alkane homologs, such as n-butane, that have multiple eclipsed and staggered forms possessing different strain energies.

Offline Squirmy

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 11:23:50 PM »
That's interesting about the s-s* interaction...I'd never considered that for ethane. I always thought it was just the the electrostatic repulsion of the eclipsed bonds. I think I might stick with that for students, though :)

Sponsored Links