April 18, 2024, 11:24:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need help synthesizing beta-lactams...  (Read 3061 times)

Offline KemNoob

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Need help synthesizing beta-lactams...
« on: May 20, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »
Hey, I'm working in a lab and I need to know how to synthesize a variety of beta-lactams. They seem pretty basic syntheses -- just attaching a functional group to the b-l. I have the procedure for one synthesis, where oAc on the b-l is substituted with Nitrasothiol (Nitrobensenethiol, 4-nitrothio phenol). My second synthesis would be very similiar to this one, except I just would be adding benzenethiol -- there's no NO2 on the ring. So my FIRST question is: Do you think it's ok to just follow the procedure for the 4-nitothio phenol substitution and just use a benzenthiol?

My SECOND question is: are there any online or hardcopy resources where I could find procedures for adding groups to beta-lactams?

Thanks, I will post more questions soon.

Chemistry is fun.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Need help synthesizing beta-lactams...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 02:20:58 AM »
Hey, I'm working in a lab and I need to know how to synthesize a variety of beta-lactams. They seem pretty basic syntheses -- just attaching a functional group to the b-l. I have the procedure for one synthesis, where oAc on the b-l is substituted with Nitrasothiol (Nitrobensenethiol, 4-nitrothio phenol). My second synthesis would be very similiar to this one, except I just would be adding benzenethiol -- there's no NO2 on the ring. So my FIRST question is: Do you think it's ok to just follow the procedure for the 4-nitothio phenol substitution and just use a benzenthiol?

My SECOND question is: are there any online or hardcopy resources where I could find procedures for adding groups to beta-lactams?

Thanks, I will post more questions soon.

Chemistry is fun.

Whilst the general idea of following the nitro procedure is good, personally, I'd note that the nitro group is deactivating so you may be hitting the reaction unnecessarily hard if you simply follow that for your thiol, especially as the lactam is fairly strained as it is.

Beta-lactams have a lot of literature associated with them, due to the interest of them as penicillins or similar. Where are you looking at adding your groups?

Sponsored Links