April 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solvent for Rigid pvc  (Read 6635 times)

Offline Raymond

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Solvent for Rigid pvc
« on: May 26, 2009, 02:21:39 PM »
Hello all,
           I have just been trying for the past few days to assemble some parts that have been machined from Rigid pvc [upvc]  I have tried various
   Solvents such as Dichloromethane Acetone and Toluene but so far have had no success, The commercially available Solvents are far to thick to use
   as I must have very clean joints because the assembly will be used as a master pattern hence the need for a liquid Solvent that will flow by capilliary
   action. I have just ordered the following to try Cyclohexane, Tetrachloroethane and Methyl ethyl ketone, But I do not want to buy chemicals on a
   purely hit and miss basis. So any help from the industrial chemists out there would be greatly appreaciated.
                                                                     Best wishes to all,
                                                                        Raymond.

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
Re: Solvent for Rigid pvc
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 12:07:40 PM »
Try cyclohexanone and tetrahydrofuran (THF). 

Offline Raymond

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 02:00:39 PM »
Marquis,
            Many thanks for your reply I shall try the 2 chemicals you mentioned after I have tried the 3 that I have ordered

Offline Raymond

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:23:23 AM »
I am thinking of ordering The Tetrahydrofuran but, I am a little concerned as to it's stability,as I believe it can form reactive peroxides.
 Not being a chemist would the normal common sense rules be OK ie, no smoking no naked lights and store in a cool dark place? or would
 I need some extra measures?
                                                          Regards,
                                                   Raymond.           

Offline marquis

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 10:45:11 AM »
Safety is a concern with THF.  Peroxide can form.  Normally, stabilizers are added by the manufacturer to limit peroxides.  One chromatography trick is to put a copper wire in the THF to inhibit peroxide formation.  But for specifics, you need to contact the THF manufacturer.

Good luck.

Offline marquis

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 11:05:56 AM »
In addition to peroxide issues, THF is also flammable and volatile.  It was always kept in a hood to minimize vapors.  Unless you have a hood present, don't work with THF.

Offline Raymond

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 01:17:05 PM »
Marquis,
              Many thanks for all your help  I think that I will give the Tetrahydrofuran a miss. It appears to be a little to dangerous for my
           comfort. I can still try the Cyclohexanone and someothers if I have to.
                                                                  Best Wishes.
                                                                Raymond.

Sponsored Links