April 29, 2024, 10:34:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help with Organic Chem assignment/exam!  (Read 6076 times)

Offline Sofire

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help with Organic Chem assignment/exam!
« on: June 01, 2009, 07:59:23 AM »
Hey, I've got some questions for a chem assignment that I hope someone will be able to help me with and also if you can explain why this is so it would be of a great help as I have an exam coming up for this in a week (eek). Thanks.
Q: What organic product would you expect from the reaction of ethylmagnesium bromide (CH3CH2MgBr) with benzaldehyde (C6H5COH) and then hydronium (H3O+)?

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline jpg28

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
Re: Help with Organic Chem assignment/exam!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 10:06:44 AM »
Generally, Alkyl Magnesium Bromides (like the one you gave, that is, ethyl magnesium bromide) are known as Grignard reagents, and act as strong nucleophiles (could also be strong bases). You have an electrophile, which in this case is benzaldehyde that has an electrophilic (electron-loving) carbon atom that is part of the carbonyl group. The CH3-CH2: - carbanion then adds to the carbonyl, thereby pushing the pi-electrons to the oxygen atom to create an alkoxide (this leaves your oxygen atom with a negative charge). The electrons on the oxygen atom then attacks one of the hydrogen atoms in the hydronium ion (H3O+) and gives off water.

The final products, therefore, are 1-phenylpropanol and H2O. I hope that helped you understand. Have a nice day.  :)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:46:45 AM by Borek »

Sponsored Links