April 19, 2024, 09:25:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Questions from Evaldas :)  (Read 19039 times)

Offline UG

• Mole Snacks: +134/-15
Re: Questions from Evaldas :)
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 01:15:35 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean, but I'll have a guess, on the left there are two O3's wich make six and on the right there are three O2's which also make six so the total amount of atoms do not change.

Offline Evaldas

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 05:36:57 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean, but I'll have a guess, on the left there are two O3's wich make six and on the right there are three O2's which also make six so the total amount of atoms do not change.
Well then why we need a ratio 2:3? Why not 1:1?

Offline UG

• Mole Snacks: +134/-15
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 03:50:32 AM »
Er, can you expand on that?  ??? I'm lost  :-\

Offline Evaldas

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
I don't understand why when there's an equation that has different coeficients or different indexes on both sides it must have some different counting... like: 2Au2O3  :rarrow: 4Au + 3O2

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 12:23:09 PM »
I don't understand why when there's an equation that has different coeficients or different indexes on both sides it must have some different counting... like: 2Au2O3  :rarrow: 4Au + 3O2

No idea what you men by different counting.

2 molecules of Au2O3 decompose into 4 atoms of gold and 3 diatomic molecules of oxygen.

You start with 2 molecules of Au2O3, each containing 2 atoms of gold, that makes 4 atoms of gold on the left. There are 4 atoms of gold on the right - so it is the same number of atoms of gold in reactants and in products.

You start with 2 molecules of Au2O3, each containing 3 atoms of oxygen, that makes 6 atoms of oxygen. There are 3 molecules of diatomic molecules of oxygen on the right, that makes 6 atoms of oxygen - so there are identical numbers of oxygen atoms on both sides.

Thsi equation can be also read in a slightly different way, that is more convenient for stoichiometric calculations. See this page:

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=balancing-stoichiometry&right=stoichiometric-calculations
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links