March 29, 2024, 11:08:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Pyrotechnics Talk at University College London (UCL)  (Read 5080 times)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Pyrotechnics Talk at University College London (UCL)
« on: May 20, 2005, 02:12:36 PM »
Anybody going? I wouldn't mind to take this as an opportunity to meet anyone from the forum. I think it will be fun.

“The Magic of Chemistry”

A Free Pyrotechnics event presented by Dr Malcolm Armstrong

Produced by IChemE London & South East Branch

and Co-sponsored by the Royal Society of Chemistry

Date: Fri 3rd June 2005 7:30pm

Venue: The Chemistry Theatre, UCL,

Christopher Ingold Building in Gordon Street

Here's the address:
University College London
Gower Street
London WC1E 6BT, UK

Alternatively, here's a website on how to go to UCL:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/UCL-Info/AboutUCL/Transport.html
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
Re:Pyrotechnics Talk at University College London (UCL)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 04:24:24 PM »
I'd like to go, but I'm a little far away.  It irritates me when I see the word 'magic' used in reference to chemistry or pyrotechnics.  C'mon, that's from alchemy.  This is science.  There's no magic about it.  I guess it just reminds me of those chemical demos I've seen before with NO explanation, just the flashy demo, like it's magic.  Who cares?  It looks neat, but why should I care since it's not even related to what we're talking about on that day?  OK, soapbox mode is off.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 07:28:06 PM »
the word "magic" contains an element of mystery. perhaps you have such a thorough scientific understanding of pyrotechnics science that you can no longer appreciate the beauty of the mysterious evolution of heat and light. It's no longer an unknown to you. As much that I know an explosion consist of heat, light, shock waves, etc, I am still so amazed by its magic, that so little substance can contain so much energy to do something like that.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 12:03:49 AM »
I can appreciate the 'magic' in that light.  I usually think of 'magic' as hoodwinking the uneducated or ignorant, though, and that I don't like.

Sponsored Links