Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Guide Me...!!  (Read 5028 times)

Offline Mariya

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Guide Me...!!
« on: June 02, 2009, 12:23:52 PM »
Hi....!!!

I Hav Done My Graduation. Now I Have to Select a Subject For The Specialization. I Hav Four Options.

1. Analytical Chemistry

2. Physical Chemistry

3. Inorganic Chemistry

4. Organic Chemistry

Kindly Guide Me! Im So Puzzled n Worried Too. Which Branch Of Chemistry Among Them is Most Demanding n Valuable.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Guide Me...!!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 12:37:36 AM »
Analytical would be the most valuable monetarily. Organic will be the most time demanding.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jpg28

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 01:37:09 AM »
I agree with what Mitch said. First, you have to examine yourself. Is your approach more theoretical/mathematical? Then perhaps you should go for Inorganic Chemistry or Physical Chemistry. As for me, I enjoy writing structures of molecules, especially those inclined to our body, and for that I have to choose Biochemistry [even if it's not in the choices :)], but it is very related to Organic Chemistry.

It's really up to you. You also have to decipher the field in which you feel most comfortable in, and what field you enjoy the most. You can be successful in any field you choose as long as you enjoy what you are doing. Good Luck with your decision and have a nice day! :)

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 01:01:38 PM »
Pick based on what you enjoy, not what others consider the most useful, otherwise you may not be happy in your future career.

1) Analytical.  Do you enjoy repetitive work while sitting in front of a ICPMS, GC, etc, with the majority of wet chemistry you do being dilutions and standard preparation?

2)Physical.  Enjoy extensive calculations, computer work and software modeling?  I know some physical chemists who have not done a reaction on the bench in 20 years.

3)Inorganic.  Definitely do bench work, and usually ends up working with catalysts or nanomaterials.  Is this what you enjoy?

4)Organic.  Lots of bench work again, usually end up working drug discovery or natural product synthesis.  Is this what you enjoy?

Of course these are overly simplified, but most of the time these groupings are correct.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 04:04:08 AM »
So...408, not a fan of Analytical?

I would say a better description of current analytical would be developing new detection methods and techniques.  Analytical chemistry can focus alot on instrumentation and you may build specialized equipment as well for new techniques you are investigating, or for specialized analysis.  My focus is organic chemistry, but analytical is one of the areas that are harder for me to describe.  I would read some websites for a better idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytical_chemistry#Modern_analytical_chemistry
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_of_job/analytical_chemist_job_description.jsp

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 10:48:42 AM »
True, I did forget the aspect of analytical that involves building ones own instruments!

However there is the separation of academic analytical, vs employment as an analytical chemist, where in academia one would be working on new techniques, however non-academic employment in the field is more relevant to my previous description.

Sponsored Links