April 16, 2024, 04:52:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry Scavenger Hunt  (Read 13784 times)

Hunter

Chemistry Scavenger Hunt
« on: May 29, 2005, 01:34:47 AM »
I have to do this for my Chemistry Class.  I found the first 18, I am now stuck w/ the following, can anybody help? Thanx!

19.  A product of an oxidation-reduction reaction.  Chemical formula, common name and chemical name required.

20.  An ionically bonded substance and a covalently bonded substance.  Label each with the substance it represents.  Chemical formulas, common names and chemical names required.

21.  Dilute acetic acid.  Common name and chemical formula required.  (vinegar?)

22.  SiO2; Common name and chemical name required.

23.  Polar molecules.  Common name, chemical name, chemical formula required.(water?)

24.  A metalloid.  Common name, chemical name, chemical formula required.

25.  Something to lower the freezing point of water.  Common name, chemical name, chemical formula required.  (salt?)

26.  A substance that dissolves endothermically.  Common name, chemical name, chemical formula required.

27.  A hydrocarbon with a molecular weight of > 100.  Common name, chemical name, chemical formula required.

28.  Nonpolar molecules.  Common name, chemical name, chemical formula required.

29.  An amount of water whose temperature would change by 15 oC when it absorbed 630 calories of heat energy.  Calculations required.  (no work, no credit, no kidding)

30.  An equilibrium system containing carbonic acid, bicarbonate ions, and carbonate ions.  Define equilibrium.  Explain why, in terms of carbonic acid, bicarbonate ions, and carbonate ions, the system you are submitting is at equilibrium.

31.  A substance that will change hydroxyapatite, Ca5(PO4)3OH, to fluorapatite, Ca5(PO4)3F.

32.  A weak organic acid.  Define weak organic acid.  Common name, chemical name, chemical formula required.

33.  Something containing titanium (IV) oxide.

34.  An alkaline earth hydroxide.  Chemical formula, common name and chemical name required.

35.  A compound composed of an alkali metal and a halogen.  Common name, chemical name, and chemical formula required.

36.  A mixture which could be separated using paper chromatography.  Define paper chromatography.  Common name required.

37.  Something containing a transition element from period 4.  Identify the transition element on the back of the note card.

38.  A nonmetal.  Define nonmetal.  Common name and chemical formula required.

39.  An electrolyte.  Define electrolyte.  Common name, chemical name, chemical formula required.

40.  Something containing L-carvone or D-carvone.  Identify which one you have.  What characteristic does it impart to the substance which distinguishes it from the item you did not bring in.

41.  The solid product of the reaction between aqueous solutions of calcium chloride and sodium carbonate.  Balanced equation, chemical formula and common name required.

42.  An aqueous solution of a nonelectrolyte.  Identify the solute and solvent by common name.

43.  A molecule with bonding that follows the octet rule.  Common name, chemical name, chemical formula required.

44.  A hydrated crystal.  Chemical formula, common name and chemical name required.

45.  2-propanol.  Common name and chemical formula required.

46.  0.30 mol of sodium carbonate.  Calculations, chemical formula and common name required.  (no work, no credit, no kidding)

47.  A polymer of vinyl chloride.  Define polymer.  Identify the specific subunits of this polymer.  Common name required.

48.  An oxide of an element.  Common name, chemical name, chemical formula required.

49.  The salt produced when magnesium hydroxide reacts with sulfuric acid.  Balanced equation, chemical formula, chemical name, and common name required.

50.  The amount of NaCl produced from 10.0 g of sodium hydrogen carbonate reacting with an excess of hydrochloric acid.  Assume 75 % yield.  Balanced equation and calculations required.  (no work, no credit, no kidding)

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re:Chemistry Scavenger Hunt
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 02:45:22 AM »
20: almost all compounds have ionic or covalent bonds. think of common substances, like water.

21: correct, have u studied organic chemistry?

22: Si stands for silicon. try to figure it out.

24: metalloids are the elements that have partial ionic and covalent properties. they are found on the periodic table. at the imaginary line between ionic-bonding elements (which are usually found on the left of the table) and covalent-bodning elements (which are usually found on the right of the table, metalloids are located somewhere on the line. u shld ask your teacher about this.

25: yes, correct.

27: hydrocarbons are divided into functional groups, which have a fixed general formula.  eg. ethane, C2H6, belongs to alkanes which have a general fomula of CnH2n+2, where n is the number of carbon atoms. since C has a Mr of 12, H has 1, try to find how many carbon atoms are needed,  based on the formula.

32: most organic acids are weak, try to think of some. (hint: u already mentioned one so far.)

35: what u mean earth hydroxide?

37: surely u know what a period is, and a transition metaL/

38: surely u know a non-metal... (Hint: they form covalent bonds)

39: go learn more about electrolysis before asking this question

43: basically, the octet rule refers that electrons try to attain 8 valence elctrons in order to be stable.

44: a common example is hydrated CuSO4.nH2O crystals.

48: this is too simple for you to ask.

49: the products of an acid an an alkali are a salt and a water.

PS: en.wikipedia.org is a good site to find definitions and learn something.
one learns best by teaching

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 10:42:55 AM »
"Alkaline Earth" is an archaic description of the group two metals.  Alkaline is a name given to group 1 metals.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 05:16:14 PM »
Don't you mean 'alkali' for group 1?  As in the 'alkali earth metals', or are you describing the 'alkaline' as in batteries?  The terminology is very confusing.

arnyk

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 06:06:08 PM »
Yup that would be alkali.  Alot of those questions are ones even a first year high school chemistry student would know.

35.  A compound composed of an alkali metal and a halogen.  Common name, chemical name, and chemical formula required.

Pick an alkali, pick a halogen, synthesize.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 09:43:48 PM »

Table Salt. 2Na + Cl2----> 2NaCl
Alakali is the sodium (Na) and halogen is the chlorine (Cl). Alkali metals like to form salts also.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 09:44:12 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 02:04:14 AM »
We got one of these 'scavanger hunts' when I first entered general chemistry.  My teacher was a bio teacher who had no interest in chemistry, so she had just gotten a copy of this thing from some colleague and it was really difficult.  Few of the answers were in our book, and this was back in the days before the internet was really big.  Google was a thing of the distant future.  Some of the questions were like: "What element is found in the vapor of street lamps?" and "Name three metallic elements used in calculator displays."  The sad thing is that the second question was so old that they had been talking about lighted electronic displays, not liquid crystal displays, so people were putting down the wrong answers.  On top of that, some of the questions were just wrong, like "Name the heaviest element." which is stupid anyway, because they were asking for density not 'weight'.  Then they said the answer was lead.  I thought that was a crock, so I showed the teacher in the back of the book that there's a lot of elements with a greater density than lead, and so she corrected the question grudgingly.  It was a sign of things to come with that class.  It sucked big time.  Thank god I took AP Chem the next year with a different (and wonderful) teacher.  Otherwise I'd probably be a mathematician or something worse--like a physicist! (Sorry, couldn't resist).

arnyk

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 04:00:51 PM »
Lol, don't be bashing physics now... ::)  Why on earth would a biology teacher be teaching chemistry?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 04:01:10 PM by arnyk »

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 01:23:22 AM »
My sophomore year of HS, our school was overcrowded (2500+ students) and so the bio teacher had to teach a couple of overflow sections of chemistry.  It was terrible.  This gal was not only uninterested in teaching chemistry, she had a bad attitude and a chip on her shoulder anyway.  It was one of the worse classes I've ever taken.

Sponsored Links