April 30, 2024, 10:26:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ligand geometry of Ir(NH3)2(CN)I-  (Read 3848 times)

Offline jkm89

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Ligand geometry of Ir(NH3)2(CN)I-
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:59:53 PM »
So on my last chemistry quiz we had to identify the ligand geometry of Ir(NH3)2(CN)I-.

I knew that there were 4 ligands so the structure had to be tetrahedral or square planar, however, square planar only exists for d8 transition metals.

Since CN and I both have an oxidation number of -1, and the oxidation number of the whole molecule is also -1, I reasoned that the oxidation number of Ir was +1. Ir is originally a d7 metal but subtracting one electron from the d orbital gives you d6. So I said that the ligand geometry was tetrahedral, but I was wrong and it was actually square planar. Why is this?

Offline FeLiXe

• Theoretical Biochemist
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-7
  • Excited?
    • Chemical Quantum Images
Re: Ligand geometry of Ir(NH3)2(CN)I-
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 01:47:10 PM »
in the complex all the valence electrons move to the d subshell. Ir has 9 valence electrons, 1 is removed. that makes d8
Math and alcohol don't mix, so... please, don't drink and derive!

Offline jkm89

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 02:35:56 PM »
Why does this happen?

Offline FeLiXe

• Theoretical Biochemist
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-7
  • Excited?
    • Chemical Quantum Images
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 04:26:42 PM »
that is a general concept.

in the elctrostatic picture i think it is because the ligands destabilize the outer orbitals

you could also consider it with MO theory. then you can't really say d8 because you moved from AOs to MOs. but you count the total number of electrons. there 16 electrons which means that one of the MOs stays unoccupied. this is favorable for a planar complex because one of the antibonding MOs has a higher energy. 18 electrons is the typical case for a low spin octahedral or tetrahedral complex
Math and alcohol don't mix, so... please, don't drink and derive!

Sponsored Links