Chemistry Forums for Students > Undergraduate General Chemistry Forum

*delete me*!

(1/1)

fransmile:
Hello,

I just started my grad school and they assigned some chem questions to brush up on our skills.  I really forgot how to answer these questions and I would really appreciate if someone could help me out.  I don't need the answers, I just want to understand how to do them.  Thank you for your *delete me*!!

1. Describe how you would make a 400 ml solution of a 20% w/v sucrose solution. MW of sucrose = 342.3

2. Given a 1M TrisHCl pH 8.0 and 0.5M EDTA solution, how would you make 50ml of a TE solution (10mM TrisHCl pH 8.0 and 1.0mM EDTA).

Borek:
First: don't crosspost.

--- Quote from: fransmile on May 29, 2005, 10:01:58 AM ---I really forgot how to answer these questions and I would really appreciate if someone could help me out.
--- End quote ---

I will use my CASC (see footer), it does such things faster then you wink.

--- Quote ---1. Describe how you would make a 400 ml solution of a 20% w/v sucrose solution. MW of sucrose = 342.3
--- End quote ---

MW in not necessary for % calculations. You need a solution that will have 400 mL volume, and that will contain 20% of 400 grams of sucrose.

--- Quote ---2. Given a 1M TrisHCl pH 8.0 and 0.5M EDTA solution, how would you make 50ml of a TE solution (10mM TrisHCl pH 8.0 and 1.0mM EDTA).
--- End quote ---

Calculate amounts of both reagents in the final solution. Calculate what volumes of known solutions will contain these amounts of substances. Fill up to 50 mL with water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version