April 26, 2024, 10:48:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hexanes, n-hexanes... which one to use?  (Read 15261 times)

Offline xtrios

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hexanes, n-hexanes... which one to use?
« on: June 10, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »
I'm synthesizing iron oxide nanoparticles using a thermal decomposition method according to literature. Most of literature used hexane as a solvent in the reaction for the iron oleate precursor. The problem is, which hexane to use was not specified. So my question is, what are the differences/different uses for the varying qualities of hexanes available? Should I get the >95% n-hexane, >99% n-hexane or just any mixture of hexanes?? Hope someone can help with my query. Thanks!

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Hexanes, n-hexanes... which one to use?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:54:35 AM »
What is your precursor iron molecule that you are using for the decomposition?  Most synthesis that I looked into required a higher boiling point than the 70°C or so or hexanes.

If your paper does in fact use hexanes, then I wouldn't worry about whether it is n-hexane, or just solvent "hexanes".  You just need a solvent for your precursor molecule to decompose in.

Offline xtrios

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 11:57:56 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I'm using iron chloride, hexahydrate and sodium oleate. Most papers only mention hexane, but some that use the same protocol do mention n-hexane. Main problem now is I'm not sure if I should just >95%, >99% or just any composition of n-hexane. Seems like >99% is for HPLC.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 12:33:35 PM »
What is your precursor iron molecule that you are using for the decomposition?  Most synthesis that I looked into required a higher boiling point than the 70°C or so or hexanes.

If your paper does in fact use hexanes, then I wouldn't worry about whether it is n-hexane, or just solvent "hexanes".  You just need a solvent for your precursor molecule to decompose in.

This is the best advice. Think about it. Macman is explaining the role that the solvent is playing. You could use octane  or decane with a temperature control bath to maintain ca. 70°C, but why would you? Any hexanes will work. I believe these alkanes are virtually inert to this reaction.

I believe that historically, petroleum ethers were the common distillate products that were cheap and readily available. As technology has improved and chemists may have a desire for higher purity solvents, the market has developed them. I would advocate that as macman discussed, these solvents are simply inert and may be chosen by boiling point. A point at which composition may matter is if you were to evaporate your chosen solvent and your product will be found in the residue. The higher purity solvents will probably have smaller residues after evaporation. So, if you have an insoluble compound and uses large amounts of solvent, then your product may be less pure after evaporation.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline xtrios

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 12:46:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. It does make a lot more sense now once I consider hexane as the solvent and for its boiling. I guess if the hexanes really mattered that much, the papers would have included more details too.  :) Thanks!

Sponsored Links