April 20, 2024, 04:00:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reactants  (Read 3784 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Reactants
« on: May 07, 2005, 10:00:11 AM »
I'm not 100% sure on why elements bond, but too my understanding it is to fill up or get rid of their outer energy levels.
When Na and Cl react they form NaCl which is common table salt. Na has 7 free spots for electrons and Cl has 1. The Na gives up 1 electron because it is easier for it to do so than gain 7. The Cl gains 1 electron since it is easier to gain 1 than loose 7. This is a reaction where Sodium and Chlorine react to form the Sodium Chloride.
Am I correct on my thinking or is there more. Is this also why helium will not burn.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 10:11:07 AM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Reactants
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 12:12:22 PM »
You didn't quite write a chemical equation like I asked you to, but this is what it would of been.

2Na + Cl2 --->  NaCl

The Cl2 isn't quite deficient in electrons as you were saying.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

TchrKall

Re:Reactants
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 10:15:58 PM »
Your thinking is correct in assuming that each sodium atom loses a valence electron, and that each chlorine atom gains one. That causes both atoms to acquire a net charge and become ions:
Na + Cl --> Na+ + Cl-
The overall reaction is:
2Na + Cl2 --> 2Na+ + 2Cl-
or more simply:
2Na + Cl2 --> 2NaCl

Note: We may assume that the first step in this reaction is the break up of the Cl2 molecule into two Cl atoms.

Tchrkall

Sponsored Links