April 19, 2024, 12:04:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mixture of Ethanol + Isopropanol  (Read 23917 times)

xcube

Mixture of Ethanol + Isopropanol
« on: May 29, 2005, 03:39:46 PM »
Hi!
I'm new here, and I look forward to using this message board as much as possible. :) Now, I have to do a power point presentation on a mixture for a final project. The mixture that I chose was Ethanol + Isopropanol. For the mixture, I have to discuss the structure (its properties, how it looks, etc.) and it's significance in the environment and/or its usage. Now, so far, I've done the diagrams of each as in the skeleton diagrams. Firstly, I'd just like to make sure if Isopropanol is the same as Isopropyl Alcohol? I have also figured out that Enthanol can be formed by either mixing Ethanal and H2 or Ethene and H2O. Now, I also want to know how isopropanol can be formed, through hydration or whatnot, and what do I add together. Seondly, what is the product of Isopropanol and Ethanol, when they are mixed? If possible, a skeleton diagram would be extremely helpful. I have also found out that Ethanol + Isopropanol made a type of oral drug, but cannot really understand what they mean on this site: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10575624&dopt=Abstract

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hope to hear from ya!

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Mixture of Ethanol + Isopropanol
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 03:53:34 PM »
Isopropanol is the same as Isopropyl Alcohol?

They are the same thing.

I doubt when the 2 are mixed they will make any new compound. They will only make a mixture of ethanol and isopropanol.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

TchrKall

Re:Mixture of Ethanol + Isopropanol
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 09:39:00 PM »
Hi!
I'm new here, and I look forward to using this message board as much as possible. :) Now, I have to do a power point presentation on a mixture for a final project. The mixture that I chose was Ethanol + Isopropanol. For the mixture, I have to discuss the structure (its properties, how it looks, etc.) and it's significance in the environment and/or its usage. Now, so far, I've done the diagrams of each as in the skeleton diagrams. Firstly, I'd just like to make sure if Isopropanol is the same as Isopropyl Alcohol? I have also figured out that Enthanol can be formed by either mixing Ethanal and H2 or Ethene and H2O. Now, I also want to know how isopropanol can be formed, through hydration or whatnot, and what do I add together. Seondly, what is the product of Isopropanol and Ethanol, when they are mixed? If possible, a skeleton diagram would be extremely helpful. I have also found out that Ethanol + Isopropanol made a type of oral drug, but cannot really understand what they mean on this site: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10575624&dopt=Abstract

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hope to hear from ya!

xcube,

Ethanol amd isopropyl alcohol (or 2-propanol) are compounds of the same family, alcohols, not especially reactive toward each other. The name "Isopropanol" is an attempt to make a common name sound like a systematic chemcial name.  The two alcohols mix in all proportions as expected producing a *mixture* of the two. No reaction occurs and no products are formed. This mixture is of no special significance relative to the environment. Ethanol is formed by fermentation of a sugar solution or by hydration of ethene, CH2=CH2. Isopropyl alcohol can be formed by hydration of propene, CH3CH=CH2. Reduction of ethanal, CH3CHO, would produce ethanol, CH3CH2OH, but *mixing* ethanal with hydrogen would not. Structural formulas  are from hard to impossible to show in a forum like this one. The URL you gave shows a procedure in which the two alcohols are merely solvents, not reactants.  
My apologies for questioning so many of your assumptions but isn't it better to know about it before you have invested a lot of time on this topic? My suggestion is to limit your topic to only one of these two compounds and do a lot of studying before making any assumptions about it. There is still a possibility for a great project here.

Tchrkall

Sponsored Links