April 29, 2024, 01:37:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: paint thinner- toxicity and disposal  (Read 6824 times)

Offline mds33200

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
paint thinner- toxicity and disposal
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:46:04 AM »
Hi, at work we use an ultrasonic machine to clean certain items (cellular electronics) and for certain parts, such as metal brackets, or chrome benzles, for a solvent solution in the ultrasonic tank, we started using paint thinner.

Today I saw them remove the items from the ultrasonic machine and wrinced them under the sink with hot water, then put the parts on a heating pad to dry. I was wondering though, is it ok to do that?

The metal parts drip dry for a minute after coming out of the machine, so it isnt like its very much paint thinner going down the drain, but if it doesnt get filtered out some how, I would imagine that it would be harmful to the environment. I dont know much about my towns filtration system, so just was wondering other peoples opinions as to what they think.

PS we only run about 1-2 batches per week, if that (with the paint thinner). In each batch theres about 50-100 small pieces of metal.

So is the procedure we follow ok (wrincing parts in the sink after they are exposed to the paint thinner) or could this be harmful to the environment?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: paint thinner- toxicity and disposal
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:16:49 AM »
Could be harmful, may depend on the thinner.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mds33200

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:46:59 AM »
not sure if this will help, but this is the info I have about the thinner:

Brand: Klean-strip
Name: Odorless Mineral Spirits

No disposal instructions on the container. Only says "Dispose of in accordance with federal state and local regulations".

Offline mds33200

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 05:35:45 PM »
*Ignore me, I am impatient*

Sponsored Links