April 19, 2024, 04:14:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Smoke grenades  (Read 17918 times)

JimiN

Smoke grenades
« on: May 30, 2005, 10:19:19 AM »
Hello i am new and have very little experice with the subject but i did make one with my grandad back when i was a little boy
i wish to make a smoke grenade but i need to know the how to make it if any one knows of a website or even better knows themself how to make smoke grenades can you please PM me thanks

Grumples

Re:Smoke grenades
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 04:27:57 PM »
There are, of course, a million different varieties, although one of the best and easiest to make is a combination of saltpeter (KNO3) and plain, ordinary sugar.  By weight, the ratio should be between 60/40 and 50/50, depending on your taste.   Basically all you do is mix them, and light it.  The smoke is non toxic, but it produces a lot of heat and sparks, so don't do it indoors. Now, some crazy people try to melt the two together, so they can cast it into molds and such.  I've had some rather bad experiences doing that (there's about a 10 degree margin between melting and holy-crap-my-hands-are-actually-on-fire ignition), and I wouldn't suggest it.  On a completely unrelated note, you can also use this composition in building your own model rockets.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 04:37:37 PM by Grumples »

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 05:36:48 PM »
Melting is a very bad idea.  Do not try melting the ingredients together.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 10:59:11 PM »
Reading this post reminds me of something I caught some idiot doing while not paying attention.  He was attempting to do just what was mentioned in the post above and melt some potassium nitrate and sugar together.  The thing is, he was using potassium chlorate and not potassium nitrate.  When he added the sugar, it was like a giant torch ignited right in his face.  He's lucky he wasn't leaning over the container when the sugar went in, and that he only put a little bit in and not the full cup of it that he had in his hand.   :o
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 10:55:31 PM »
Potassium Nitrate...Potassium Chlorate...isn't just a couple atoms difference...that can't make a big difference...LOL  ;D

Benzene265

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 11:11:52 PM »
They won't blow up in your face if you keep them at room temperature before making the smoke.

As far as making molds goes, maybe you could cake the saltpeter/sugar mixture with water.  You'd have to let it dry first, though.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 03:24:13 PM »
This started to move away from a decent discussion into a how-to manual, and there's enough misleading and incorrect information that the topic needed to be closed.

Sponsored Links