April 18, 2024, 09:38:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acid / Base Strength  (Read 4708 times)

Offline DmytriE

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Acid / Base Strength
« on: June 18, 2009, 02:19:35 AM »
How do you order the different strengths of different molecules?  I know the different equations and how to use them if I have numbers.  I also know how to interpret the information after given the information, but if you were given a molecule such as Ca(OH)2 how can you tell if it's a base or an acid, and better yet its strength (weak or strong)? 

I see strong vs. weak as qualitative attributes so its hard to really say what is strong and weak.  Prove me wrong!  If I can get an easier way to quickly look at a problem, with practice, and have an understanding of the answer and why it will go along way.

P.S. I'm not in inorganic chemistry anymore. I'm doing some self studying  for the MCATs and not asking for homework questions just in case some people were wondering as to the several questions in such a short time period.   :)  I've also searched the site and haven't really found something that discuss how to do it with out numbers.

Thanks again!

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
Re: Acid / Base Strength
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 02:52:11 AM »
You can predict whether the substance is acidic, basic or neutral through hydrolysis of salt. However if you were to compare between two weak base, whichever is stronger, you have to consider the conjugate acid stability. Apparently calcium hydroxide is a strong base as it would be completely dissociated in water despite its low solubility.

http://www.chemistry.nmsu.edu/studntres/chem112.spring.1997/Hydrolysis.html
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c123/salts.html
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links