June 17, 2024, 03:15:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography (GCxGC)  (Read 5145 times)

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography (GCxGC)
« on: May 30, 2005, 06:58:32 PM »
I'm just wondering if anyone out here has had experience with two-dimensional gas chromatography - Comprehensive, to be exact.  I'm starting to work with it here at a university, and it's pretty interesting.

I don't have a question about it.  I'm just wondering if anyone actually knows about it lol.

Thanks.

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
Re:Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography (GCxGC)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 09:00:18 AM »
In 2003, there was some buzz about switching to 2-D chromatography to improve the separation of some of the "piperylene" (1,3-pentadiene) streams at the place I work.  However, there were some massive layoffs and cost cuts that put a hold on GCxGC testing and it has never been restarted.  Here are the references to few review articles that I gathered at that time:

-Journal of Chromatographic Science, vol 29, 1991, Liu, Z.; Phillips , JB
-Journal of High Resolution Chromatography & Chromatorgraphy Communications, 1987, Vol 10, Giddings, JC.
Book "Multidimensional Chromatography", edited by Mondello, L, Lewis, AC, Bartle, KD, 2002. Ch 4.

Never got any experience in the subject, although I've since heard that an ASTM test using 2D GC has been approved.

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
Re:Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography (GCxGC)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 08:24:14 PM »
Awesome man, thanks

Yeah, it looks like all the companies and people are waiting to get into GCxGC, just because it's so expensive right now.  It's possible everybody's waiting for time-of-flight mass spectrometers (kick-butt detectors) to come down in price...even though FID does just fine.

Thanks for the references, I think I've read all of those, plus more.  Yay SciFinder Scholar at Universities :)

Thanks again, and take care.

Offline Fal

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography (GCxGC)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 01:17:23 AM »
Hi!

I realise this thread started before I even started studying chemistry but it's what came up after doing a search on GCxGC.

I'm currently in my final semester (undergrad) and am using GCXGC to analyse weathering patterns (basically just evaporation) in fuels, and see whether the differences are significant.

Don't have a specific question but would love to hear thoughts/tips by you experienced Chemists on the technique :)

Offline WW

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography (GCxGC)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 08:49:56 AM »
yes, it is especially useful in petroleum geochemistry

Sponsored Links