April 28, 2024, 08:07:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bonding and potential energy  (Read 3466 times)

Offline harkkam

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Bonding and potential energy
« on: June 27, 2009, 05:21:21 PM »
I was reading my textbook and the tried to explain covalent bonding as a reduction in potential energy as two nuceli approach each other lowering the energy. Sort of how a rock falls from on top of a cliff and then hits the bottom and losses all its stored energy of position.

NOw the problem is that the txt book doesnt explain why sharing electrons is more energetically favorable than the atoms sitting by themelves.

I assume that sharing electrons helps the individual atoms acheive an octet.

I know that achieving an octet makes the molecule less reactive toward other molecules because their outer shell is filled.

HOWEVER, it doesnt explain why electron sharing or octet filling is more ENERgetically favorable.

Thank you

Offline Phlogiston

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Bonding and potential energy
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 09:15:01 PM »
I was reading my textbook and the tried to explain covalent bonding as a reduction in potential energy as two nuceli approach each other lowering the energy. Sort of how a rock falls from on top of a cliff and then hits the bottom and losses all its stored energy of position.

NOw the problem is that the txt book doesnt explain why sharing electrons is more energetically favorable than the atoms sitting by themelves.

I assume that sharing electrons helps the individual atoms acheive an octet.

I know that achieving an octet makes the molecule less reactive toward other molecules because their outer shell is filled.

HOWEVER, it doesnt explain why electron sharing or octet filling is more ENERgetically favorable.

Thank you

"Why?" turns out to be a very deep question that you can spend a long time learning about, and has its roots in quantum mechanics.  This is not to discourage you, and for now you might want to read the section in your book on molecular orbital theory.

Offline lancenti

• Mole Snacks: +4/-4
    • Crystal Spires
Re: Bonding and potential energy
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 09:53:26 PM »
You may also want to look at it from this perspective:

http://www.doitpoms.ac.uk/tlplib/stiffness-of-rubber/lennard-jones.php

Sponsored Links