April 18, 2024, 06:27:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Problem of the Week - 06/29/09  (Read 14463 times)

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Problem of the Week - 06/29/09
« on: June 29, 2009, 09:51:57 AM »
LAH question is still open, btw  ;)

QUESTION: Provide a complete, arrow pushing mechanism for the following reaction.

(ps, I'm out of town next Mon, so if someone else wants to come up with a POTW, feel free to post it next week :))
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:08:32 AM by azmanam »
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Problem of the Week - 06/29/09
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »
OK, this was my first thought. Not entirely confident about the 4-membered transition state in the second step, but here it is...

This would give the racemic trans substituted cyclohexane, I assume you left out the stereochem because that was going to be your next question, or is it completely scrambled?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 12:21:43 PM »
Seems plausible to me given you're reintroducing the aromaticity.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 12:26:40 PM »
Good guess, but no.

I left out stereochemistry because it wasn't in the original question... but I meant to add it as a bonus question.  the stereochem is not indicated in the question, but I think one could rationalize a particular orientation.  So... uh... right! that's my next question!

You're sort of on the right track, but just far enough off track to be wrong.  I get that the C-C bond cleavage restores aromaticity, but I agree with your concern over a 4-membered TS.  There's a better, less demanding way to do it.

Here's my hint:  If you go through and systematically isotopically label the molecule one at a time, the labels in the actual final product are not in the same place as the labels in your final product.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »
I've got something, not sure it's more plausible than the 4 membered ring though :P  Give me a couple to draw

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »
attached.  Looking back at it, I don't think my last step is really plausible at all.

edit:  also, what do you all use to draw mechanisms?  I don't see the curvy arrow feature on chemsketch and paint does not work so well

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 01:27:10 PM »
Interesting thought, but no, not quite.

I think that enolate would be preferentially nucleophilic at carbon, not oxygen, imho.  Your final structure suffers from the same labeling problem that Dan's did.  If you label the starting material, the labels would not be in the right place in your products.

as for drawing, I use ChemDraw (with TotSyn Style: http://totallysynthetic.com/blog/?page_id=287), and it looks like Dan's is also ChemDraw (but ACS style).  To do curved arrows in ChemSketch, click DRAW (next to structure in top left), then select the arrow tool (5th from top in vertical toolbar on left), then select curve (second from top in vertical toolbar on left).  You should then be able to draw a curved arrow.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 01:35:36 PM »

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 08:38:56 AM »
Here's that same labeling hint in pictorial form.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 11:35:46 PM »
This is my suggestion. First, the alpha-methylene loses a hydrogen (hydride?). How can I accomplish it? The phenol will stabilize or enable the donation by forming a protonated quinone methide. The complex of BF3 with the enone will accept an intramolecularly transferred hydride. Then, the newly formed enolate-BF3 complex can form a new bond to the quininone methide. That will give a six-membered ring with an alpha-acetyl group and the 13-C label will not attached to the phenyl ring.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 08:34:12 AM »
I think that sounds ok.  Someone want to draw it out?  And use that drawing to predict relative stereochemistry of product?

Sponsored Links