April 19, 2024, 05:36:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to acquire Strontium Aluminate?  (Read 9708 times)

Offline RazorConcepts

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to acquire Strontium Aluminate?
« on: October 29, 2009, 05:28:19 PM »
I want to mess around with glow in the dark substances. I read about and it looks like strontium aluminate is the most popular way to make something glow in the dark. On wikipedia (!!) it says that it must be energized by europium to actually glow.

Now, basically I just want to get my hands on some of this powder, the cheapest means possible. I could buy it, but it seems expensive (I looked at a web site called glo nation and its $7 per ounce). Would making it myself be feasible, and easier? My school has a bunch of equipment that I think would be sufficient. Thanks!

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
Re: How to acquire Strontium Aluminate?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:42:34 PM »
The only source of strontium for the average joe that I know of is SrF2 in certain toothpaste that is for people who have gum pain issues. It is expensive.

I don't know what you would have to do with that. I guess you have to do electrolysis to get Sr metal.
Then expose Sr to O2 to get SrO and then heat with Al2O3 at some super high temp to get SrAl2O4.
You can get yourself EuO from old TV tubes.

good luck!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How to acquire Strontium Aluminate?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:45:42 AM »
I guess you have to do electrolysis to get Sr metal.

What do you know about activity of alkaline earth metals?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links