April 23, 2024, 04:42:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is general chemistry like?  (Read 7687 times)

Offline Agent-X

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What is general chemistry like?
« on: July 02, 2009, 01:04:20 AM »
When I was taking freshman chemistry, we called it "Inorganic Chemistry." The second semester was "Inorganic Chemistry with qualitative analysis." I was just reading a thread in the general chemistry forum for students that looks like an organic chemistry question. I don't think many of us in inorganic chemistry went over things such as boiling points of organic molecules. That chapter was wayyy in the back. It wasn't even covered.

Does anyone know about this change? I think it happened in the past two years or so.
I've just been wondering what is different. I still have a year of chemistry to do, so I've been wondering if there are things covered these days that weren't covered a few years ago.

Anyone know about this change and what changes occured?
Intermittent SFN member. Former RS member. Washu is the bomb.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: What is general chemistry like?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 03:55:42 AM »
Touches on everything, in depth into not much.  There's the possibility the poster just used the wrong forum.

Offline Agent-X

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 04:03:13 AM »
Touches on everything, in depth into not much.  There's the possibility the poster just used the wrong forum.

Maybe.
I found out that another person posted this same topic elsewhere in this forum.
I suspect my question has been answered.
However, I'm under the impression that a little more organic chemistry covered than two years ago.
Intermittent SFN member. Former RS member. Washu is the bomb.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 04:10:17 AM »
This was a question on intermolecular forces, such things were part of the general chemistry for as long as I remember - that means since seventies ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 01:40:36 PM »
In my general chem course (taken a year ago), we went over organic nomenclature and what the study of organic chemistry was, and I think that's about it.  Professor mentioned some SN2 type stuff, but it was just for fun.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »
I think of freshman general chemistry as p-chem without the heavy math.  Most of the important concepts in gen chem (electronic structure of atoms and molecules, atomic and molecular orbitals, molecular geometry, thermodynamics and equilibrium, kinetics, etc) are covered later in much greater quantitative detail in later physical chemistry courses.

In fact, at my undergraduate institution most (if not all) of the professors who taught general chem were physical chemists.  Also, back when I was an undergrad, I took the honors versions of general chem which ended up basically being watered down versions of quantum and stat mech (which was very useful for my later p-chem coursework).

Sponsored Links