March 28, 2024, 04:57:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Similarities between Cocaine and Caffeine  (Read 37331 times)

Offline RVM45

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Similarities between Cocaine and Caffeine
« on: July 09, 2009, 12:36:47 AM »
This is just a curious question: Cocaine and Caffeine reputedly share quite a few Chemical similarities.

I've read that ingested Cocaine is no stronger than an equal amount of Caffeine. Few people insuffufalate Caffeine. I've never heard of anyone shooting Caffeine--though the PDR has Caffeine solutions to use as a cardiac stimulant.

However, we all know what happens when Cocaine HCL is cooked into the basic form--Smokable Rock Cocaine...

Is there any possibility that an enterprising Chemist might come up with a smokable form of Caffeine?

Crack works, because there is a narrow transition zone--about twenty degrees, if I remember correctly, where the Cocaine turns gaseous; but doesn't quite burn.

Is there any near analogs of Caffeine that might work the same way?

..RVM45    8) ??? 8)

Offline AhmedEzatAlzawalaty

• Mole Snacks: +4/-31
Re: Similarities between Cocaine and Caffeine
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 06:24:58 PM »
the similarity between both caffeine and cocaine is that they are both alkaloids.
Pharmacologicall , cocaine inhibits the catecholamine reuptake in the CNS so increases the CA level causing stimulation and maybe convulsions like epilepsy.
but caffeine is cerebral cortex stimulant which inhibits phosphodiesterase so increases level of cAMP.theyophylline is caffeine analogue whish works by the same way in bronchi and cardiac muscle thats why it is used for cardiac and bronchial asthma.
if u mean to smoke caffein , i think we cant , it is not as stimulant as cocaine

Offline RVM45

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 03:57:30 AM »
Interesting. I do much of my study in old textbooks, and you are referencing nuerotransmitters that I haven't encountered. Need to catch up, and do some backgeound reading.

As far as the possibility of a smokable form of Caffeine--just something that I thought I might include in one of my fiction stories sometime...

That's it: just recalled--last account I had, Cocaine worked by stimulating massive releases of Acetycholine (sp?) and Nor Epinephrine...

cOURSE, THAT'S FRM 30 YEAR OLD BOOKS...

..RVM45       8) ;) 8)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 05:50:03 AM »
Nope, cocaine is mainly a DARI, with lesser effects on serotonin reuptake and noradrenaline reuptake also.

If your looking to hav fun with caffeine? meh, not going to happen, it just doesn't cause enough dopamine reuptake inhibition to prove euphoric.

Weight for weight, potencies of cocaine and caffeine are not that far apart, but its a case of quality, not quantity,
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Sponsored Links