April 24, 2024, 03:07:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what are the products of this synthesis?  (Read 8470 times)

Offline heiNey

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
what are the products of this synthesis?
« on: July 12, 2009, 02:41:52 AM »
can anyone tell me what the products of this synthesis should be?

2-chloro-2-methyl-butane with (CH3OH and heat) conditions.

i said this was both Sn1 and E1 and got 2-methyl-2-butene (major) and i think the other product is 2-methyl-2-butanol, but im starting to think that's not right, since CH3OH doesn't act as a base.

im not sure how to name the other product that i think it might be, but its a butane with a methyl on C2 and a OCH3 on C2 as well.

Offline zxt

• Mole Snacks: +3/-5
Re: what are the products of this synthesis?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 04:45:34 AM »
can anyone tell me what the products of this synthesis should be?

2-chloro-2-methyl-butane with (CH3OH and heat) conditions.

i said this was both Sn1 and E1 and got 2-methyl-2-butene (major) and i think the other product is 2-methyl-2-butanol, but im starting to think that's not right, since CH3OH doesn't act as a base.

im not sure how to name the other product that i think it might be, but its a butane with a methyl on C2 and a OCH3 on C2 as well.

I think the reaction is Sn1.First, CL on the C2 attracts electron and becomes negative leaving the butane.Meanwhile,CH3OH::equil::CH3O-+H+ and CH3O-is base.Then CH3O- attacks C2 to form the compound called 2-methyl-2-methoxy butane as you asked.

Offline heiNey

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:03:34 PM »
i thought since there was heat involved, elimination also occurs, so you would get two products.  2-methyl-2-methoxybutane and 2-methyl-2-butene.

what is teh purpose of the heat?

Offline heiNey

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »
i also have questions on these other three.

i know you get OH across both sides of the double bond in this first one, but im not sure what to do with the OH afterwards?  i think youre supposed to take one of the H's off one of the OH's, but im not sure which one and it leaves a negative charge, which is strange.

for this one, i thought you would get the product by just adding Br2/hv, but ive been told that Br2/hv will transform propyne into 1,1,2,2-tetrabromopropane.  this doesnt seem right to me though.  i thought Br2/hv is radical substitution so Br gets added to the most available H and so only a single Br substitutes the H.  can someone clarify?

this one looks like it would give me CH3-C-=C-D (-= is a triple bond) and [DO-][Na+].  is that right?  (D2O is just H2O with deuterium)

any help is appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links