Specialty Chemistry Forums > Citizen Chemist

Nitrate solubility

(1/1)

ilya49:
What if to mix potassium nitrate with sodium nitrate dissolved in C2H5H and lit through the liquid methanol?

What will happen?

hmx9123:
What in the world are you talking about?  Your grammar doesn't even make any sense.  I'm guessing this is what you're saying:

"Mix potassium nitrate and sodium nitrate and dissolve them in ethane.  Add this to methanol and light.  What would happen?"

Well, you'd wind up with a lot of potassium and sodium nitrate on the bottom of the container, and a nice methanol flame.  The ethane would be completely gone.  The potassium and sodium nitrates are barely soluble in methanol at all.  At best, you'd have a weak, crappy orange sodium flame.  You'd be better off burning wood.

Donaldson Tan:
I dont think he's referring to ethane. I think he's referring to this molecule: a substituted ethene wherby one H is replaced by an amine group. I am not sure of the IUPAC name. It's been a long time since I revised my organic chemistry naming system.

Forgive my singlish~ (Sg's version of non-standard english)

hmx9123:
No offense, geodome, but I can barely understand your writing better than ilya's.  I do not wonder about what his intention is.  I'm sure he wants to make combustibles--like fireworks and destructive devices.  All he's ever asked about is chemistry that is shady to illegal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version