April 27, 2024, 01:53:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mono-Chloramine & Sodium Bisulfite  (Read 10839 times)

Offline Bryby

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mono-Chloramine & Sodium Bisulfite
« on: July 14, 2009, 05:57:02 PM »
Hi. I just started an internship at a wastewater treatment plant. They treat the water with mono-chloramine (NH2Cl to kill organisms. Then they have to remove that to meet EPA discharge standards. They use sodium bisulfite (NaHSO3. I get the following two equations.
NH2Cl + H2O <-> NH3 + HOCL
NaHSO3 + HOCL <->NaHSO4 + HCL

HCl + NH3 -> NH4Cl

But what happens with the NaHSO4 and the NH4Cl? My understanding is that HSO4- is amphiprotic while NH4Cl is acidic. HSO4- would therefor act like a base. HSO4 + NH3Cl.... but this doesnt seem to get me any closer to the answer, or maybe it does. How far does this reaction go? Am i doing it right? I want to know the final products of this reaction and understand it in the entirety. Please help.

Thanks,
Bryby

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Mono-Chloramine & Sodium Bisulfite
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 06:24:34 PM »
This is an equilibrium question - to solve that you need all Ka values and all concentrations. You will find outline of the general approach that should be used here:

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=general-pH-calculation

You may also try pH calculator built in Buffer Maker, this will give you final answer much faster.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Bryby

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 08:09:40 PM »
Borek, i just want to find out if this equation boils down to harmless molecules. I think it would be easier for me to understand things in a chemical equation without amounts and Ka values. I just want to get to the end result of the basic equation. Unfortunately i am stuck with NH4Cl and NaHSO4. Do they react with anything that i am missing, or with each other or not at all? 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 03:45:51 AM »
Do they react with anything that i am missing, or with each other or not at all?

There will be no other reaction between these molecules than the acid/base equilibrium.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links