March 28, 2024, 12:05:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Real expansion cooling (  (Read 4099 times)

Offline deyouja

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Real expansion cooling (
« on: July 08, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »
I need to calculate the amount of power needed in a heat exchanger to make up for heat loss due to high pressure gas expanding across a valve at a constant flow rate, and a constant pressure upstream of the valve (p1) and down-stream of the valve (p2), P2 is constant due to a back pressure regulator down stream of the valve.  I am only interested in the heat loss due to the primary expansion (2850 --> 400)  The volumes upstream of the valve and down stream of the valve are not changing as the gas is being fed at a constant rate from an infinite supply source. 

The gas is CO2, p1 =2850 psi, p2 = 400 psi, T1=40C.  I would like to keep the down stream temperature at 25C.     

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Re: Real expansion cooling (
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:34:50 PM »
Hello deyouja,

The forums rules mention that I cannot do the work for you. I can only help you figure out the answer.

Could you provide your initial calculations? I am sure that someone will be able to help steer you in the right direction.

Best wishes, and thanks for your help,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline deyouja

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Real expansion cooling (
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 02:45:14 PM »
Eugene,
No calculations done yet.  I am looking for an equation that accounts for the heat loss taking place at the throttle point (valve) when the upstream and downstream pressures do not change (constant feed, and a back pressure regulator downstream of the throttle).  Thanks..

Sponsored Links