April 20, 2024, 05:54:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is this College Program right for me?  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Atarijedi

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Is this College Program right for me?
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:35:54 PM »
Hello all,

I am currently an Electronic Engineer in Canada, but I have decided that I want to try out something else, so I am thinking of taking a program at my local Polytechnic College. I would like to get into Pharmacognosy, the study of drugs from natural sources, as well as the search for new drugs from natural sources. My local college offers a Pharmaceutical and Food Sciences program. I was wondering if someone here could take a quick look at it and let me know if it would be sufficient.

https://myplace.durhamcollege.ca/durham/program.do?from=subject&programID=1353

I am sure that it will be sufficient to get me started in this field, but it would be reassuring to have someone who knows what they are talking about. I would've asked the Professors, but they are out on summer leave and aren't responding to my emails, and the student liaison wasn't very helpful (she did a ctrl+f search on the web page to find specific words like pharmacognosy, phytochemistry, etc...)

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
Re: Is this College Program right for me?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 05:53:20 PM »
Looking at the (brief) course description I would say that this course is oriented to the Pharmaceutical and food production environment with emphasis on the instrumentation and techniques used in process control and quality testing (pharmaceuticals) as well as possible contaminants (in the food environment).

As such I suspect there will be little or no attention to Pharmacognosy, which would would be more applicable to the Research & Development phase of pharmaceuticals  rather than the production environment.

However I would still send e-mails requesting further course information as I am not infallible.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sponsored Links