April 26, 2024, 05:53:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hybridization in sulphuric acid?  (Read 26658 times)

Offline anrea92

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hybridization in sulphuric acid?
« on: July 23, 2009, 05:34:16 PM »
Well, sulphur in SF6 for istance has got a sp3d2 hybridization and I can see why, it has got the principal quantum numer n=3 and therefore it has got the possibility to
occupy atomic orbitals of "d" kind and it finally has got (after the hybridization) 6 unpaired elctrons.
But why in H2SO4 sulphur has got a sp3 hybridization? How is it possible? I see, the structure is tetrahedral but, if it has got a sp3 hybridization, the hybridized orbitals are s (1) and p (3) and consequently the structure should be with two lone pairs and two unpaired electrons. On the contrary there are, in the H2SO4 structure, 6 unpaired electrons (which should be obtained from the sp3d2 hybridization).
Conclusion: why in H2SO4 the hybridization is sp3 and not sp3d2?
How can the sp3 hybridization (which should involve just 1 "s" orbital and 3 "p" orbitals gives rise to 6 unpaired electrons?

p.s = it's all the same for SO3, isn't it? But there why is the hybridization sp2 and not sp3d2 again?

I'm sorry, I know it will be surely easy for you but I've been looking for the answer everywhere, but I really can't understand.
Thanks to all who will try to help me out.

Offline stevet

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Hybridization in sulphuric acid?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 05:52:44 PM »
Why do you say that the sulfur in the H2SO4 has sp3 hybridization?

Offline anrea92

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 06:23:13 PM »
It's not me to say that, it's my book!
Isn't the hybridization of that kind? Is it sp3d2 as I thought?

Offline stevet

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 06:32:36 PM »
From what i can see you are right. There is no way that the three sp3 orbitals can accomodate the 12 electrons. You have to have 6 orbitals as you say.
It seems like your book is associateing the tetrahedral geometry with a specific hybridization i.e. that tethrahedral geometry = sp3, however this is not the actual case, as illustrated by your example.

Offline anrea92

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 07:05:22 PM »
I mean: if I follow the structure of H2SO4, I'm disposed to believe that it has got a sp3 hybridization since its structure is tetrahedral and only sp3 hybridization has got tetrahedral structure; but if I follow the electrons, there cannot be 6 unpaired electrons with sp3 hybridization and I'm disposed to believe that the hybridization is a sp3d2 one.
Which way should I choose to get the right answer (which would be: the hybridization is sp3 or sp3d2? And why?) since both of the possibilities lead me to different answers?

Sponsored Links