April 23, 2024, 09:25:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question concerning aldol reaction  (Read 3554 times)

kindaichibkk

Question concerning aldol reaction
« on: June 03, 2005, 06:13:01 PM »
I've tried to solve this question but couldn't find the steps further than where I ended with a question mark.
Actually if the terminal of the chain isn't an aldehyde but ketone, it'd go on with intramolecular aldol reaction and form another cyclohexane, right?
but as the terminal of the chain is aldehyde, I have no idea at all what the next steps should be. Any suggestions please?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 06:13:21 PM by kindaichibkk »

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Question concerning aldol reaction
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 12:46:10 PM »
I would predict exactly what you have drawn.  I have some comments though: Michael addition reactions into beta,beta-disubstituted enones can be very difficult sometimes since you create a sterically demanding quaternary carbon center.  Therefore, the retro-Michael reaction can be problematic.  This might then favor a 1,2-addition into the carbonyl of the aldehyde, it's hard to say without actually running the reaction though.  Secondly, if there is an excess of cyclopentanone in the reaction mixture it is very likely that a second equivalent of the enolate could react with the aldehyde moiety in your product.  That is all dependent on how you run the reaction though.

Sponsored Links