April 25, 2024, 02:19:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Carbon monoxide poisoning  (Read 20277 times)

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Re: Carbon monoxide poisoning
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 08:28:53 PM »
Well... your equation is partially correct.  When you burn carbon monoxide (with oxygen as the oxidant) you do in fact make carbon dioxide (and you apparently get a nice blue flame).  Under physiological conditions, carbon dioxide will not be made from carbon monoxide and molecular oxygen.  It is as described above: CO falls off hemoglobin and O2 preferentially binds thanks to the large concentration and Le Chatelier.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 09:26:43 AM »
I could be wrong, but I always thought carbon monoxide poisoning worked the following:

The the bond between heme and CO is stronger than the bond between heme and oxygen.  The bond is much weaker for CO2 and heme.

The strong bond between heme and CO, results in the body taking in less oxygen.  As the lungs do not exhale CO as efficiently as CO2, because of the strong heme and CO bond. 

20% oxygenated air is not sufficient for the body, when poisoned by CO.

I suppose La Chatlier's principle affects the desorption of CO from the blood.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 02:34:11 PM »
I could be wrong, but I always thought carbon monoxide poisoning worked the following:

The the bond between heme and CO is stronger than the bond between heme and oxygen.  The bond is much weaker for CO2 and heme.

The strong bond between heme and CO, results in the body taking in less oxygen.  As the lungs do not exhale CO as efficiently as CO2, because of the strong heme and CO bond. 

20% oxygenated air is not sufficient for the body, when poisoned by CO.

I suppose La Chatlier's principle affects the desorption of CO from the blood.

Yes, I would say that is an accurate description of the process (esp. the last sentence that 100% oxygen would increase desorption of CO from the blood).

Sponsored Links