April 27, 2024, 09:06:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Simple Polyatomic ions bonding question  (Read 3165 times)

Offline bigbird24

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Simple Polyatomic ions bonding question
« on: July 27, 2009, 09:38:37 PM »
If i'm not mistaken
In a simple ionic bond like NaCl, after electron transfer each individual atom has a netcharge of 1 pos/neg...and the electrostatic attraction between them neutralizes the charge overall.

But.... Say a polyatomic ion like NO3- (nitrate) has a charge of neg 1. In order to neutralize it would have to combine with another atom that has a charge of pos1...
I see examples like Na(sodium) bonding with NO3-...which confuses me because if the Na transfers its one valence electron to nitrate then the sodium will be left with a net negative charge, the nitrate will gain an electron to gain a net charge of 0..   

But were still left with a net negative Na? Is this possible? Yhere's no electrostatic attraction between the two so whats holding them together?

Offline lancenti

• Mole Snacks: +4/-4
    • Crystal Spires
Re: Simple Polyatomic ions bonding question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:53:23 PM »
When sodium transfers one valence electron out, it gains a positive charge, not a negative charge.

Charged ions cannot exist independently in solution, so there's always a counter-ion. So the counter-ion for nitrate would be Na+.

So when you dump Sodium metal into, Metal Nitrate, depending on the reaction conditions you may get Sodium Nitrate and Metal from a displacement reaction or no reaction at all - you can refer to the reactivity series and electronegativity series if you're only considering ideal conditions.

Offline bigbird24

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Simple Polyatomic ions bonding question
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 11:09:26 PM »
Oops your right, sodium gains a positive charge by transfering the electron.
So if the Nitrate gains that electron it has a net charge of -2 correct? 

Sponsored Links