March 29, 2024, 08:12:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solubility and Crystallization of NaCl  (Read 12019 times)

NanoScience

Solubility and Crystallization of NaCl
« on: May 20, 2005, 04:34:01 PM »
Can someone explain to me how Solubility Product Ksp relates to crystallization?

I know that excess Cl ions can induce crystallization, however, w/o the excess how would they relate to one another?

Also, how can you predetermine the size of the crystallite from a solution of NaCl? In turn, how can you manipulate the crystal size from a solution of NaCl? What is the smallest NaCl crystallite can you make (not theoretically... but practically)?

I want to thank those that is going to look at this post as well as those that respond to this post.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Solubility and Crystallization of NaCl
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 04:38:24 PM »
crystallisation occurs when some of the solvent evaporates in a saturated solution. the ionic product of the solvated crystal constituents is always equal to Ksp during the crystallisation process.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 04:38:39 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

BamaPete

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 12:33:40 PM »
For the Case of NaCl:

When [Na]x[Cl] > Ksp, crystalization will occur.

The Solubility Product (Ksp) is just that, the product of the concentrations of the ions that form a particular ionic compound.  For more complicated cases you will have to factor in the common ion effect and will have to substitute in activities for concentrations, but I think that concentrations will work well enough for your questions.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 09:47:59 PM »
I thought crystalization occurred a solution became super saturated. Removing more solvent and not any solute is one to make a solution super saturated. When you try to put more solute in a solution that is super saturated it'll crystalize.

The Ksp table shows you how much solute a solvent can take. That is how it relates to the question. Don't qoute me on this part though. I may have mixed up my tables.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 03:56:37 AM »
I thought crystalization occurred a solution became super saturated. Removing more solvent and not any solute is one to make a solution super saturated. When you try to put more solute in a solution that is super saturated it'll crystalize.

The Ksp table shows you how much solute a solvent can take. That is how it relates to the question. Don't qoute me on this part though. I may have mixed up my tables.

crystalization occurs when the solution is over-saturated (solvent cannot possibly hold all the solute), thus fine crystals form. yes super saturation is removing solvent and not any solute, but adding excess solute to a solvent is an entirely different matter and should not be confused with crystaliisation.
one learns best by teaching

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 10:39:25 PM »
O intresting. I didn't know that and I'll keep that in mind.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links