April 19, 2024, 04:31:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: properties of ionic solid in aqueous solution  (Read 4728 times)

Offline ninto

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
properties of ionic solid in aqueous solution
« on: July 27, 2009, 11:20:55 PM »
if ionic solids dissociate into separate ions in aqueous solution, why do they retain their compound properties?
NaCl is salty even when in aqueous solution, i'm assuming neither Na+ or Cl- is inherently salty though.

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Re: properties of ionic solid in aqueous solution
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 02:43:43 AM »
if ionic solids dissociate into separate ions in aqueous solution, why do they retain their compound properties?
Do they?
What does solid NaCl look like? What does NaCl(aq) look like?
Does NaCl(s) conduct electricity? Does NaCl(aq) conduct electricity?
NaCl is salty even when in aqueous solution,
What do you mean by "salty?"

For example when you say, NaCl is salty even in aqueous solution, do you mean when you taste solid sodium chloride and an aqueous solution of sodium chloride they taste the same?
If yes, then what do you think happens when you put solid sodium chloride on your tongue?
What do substances that do not dissolve, such as polished granite, taste like?
i'm assuming neither Na+ or Cl- is inherently salty though.
Why?
If you are using the "taste" test, read up on sodium and potassium bromide and iodide and try to find out what their taste is like. What do you think is causing the salty sensation.
If you don't define "salty" by taste, look at the sodium and potassium compounds I have listed above. Look at their properties such as colour, melting point, crystal structure, etc. In what sense are these other compounds not salty? When you have done that can you write what you mean by "salty"?

Clive

Offline amir

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:57:58 PM »
NaCl is salty even when in aqueous solution, i'm assuming neither Na+ or Cl- is inherently salty though.
hi, are u fine?
 i think if u change the state of matter it's chemical properties don't change. Na Cl is an ionic compond, if u melt it or solve it in water it is ionic substance yet.

all the best, Amir

Offline ninto

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 11:46:16 PM »
If yes, then what do you think happens when you put solid sodium chloride on your tongue?

Oh yeah guess i wasnt thinking straight.

And after looking up your suggestions apparently a salty taste is caused by alkali metals, especially sodium.

Thanks for your clarification

Sponsored Links