April 24, 2024, 07:54:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Instantious dissolution of iron in nitric acid when magnetized?  (Read 18522 times)

Offline joenhermans

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Instantious dissolution of iron in nitric acid when magnetized?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 04:07:01 PM »
At my second attempt I turned on the stirring without heating, but nothing happened whatsoever. Well, the mixture was stirred because of the iron dust being magnetic, of course, but no reaction took place.

Offline Sam (NG)

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +12/-3
  • Surface Modification
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 10:00:19 AM »
You might find this interesting, there is so-called "passivity" of iron in certain concentrations of nitric acid:

The States of Iron in Nitric Acid

Offline RBL

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 05:25:49 PM »
These are very interesting references to Prof. Dr. Edward L. Nichols.

I was not aware of Nichols' observations in 1885-87 concerning static magnetic fields on the chemistry of iron.  Nichols lacked the theoretical tools to explain it in 1887.  But I explained such in July 2000.

In July 2000, I developed and discovered a model for explaining and understanding the chemistry and catalytic activity of iron and other magnetic materials in general.  This new concept is known as "the Little Effect".  The Little Effect involves polarize spins and their organization via intrinsic magnetism and/or external magnetism for synchronizing, organizing, stimulating and orchestrating multiple chemical reactions about multiple reactant centers.  I developed this model initially to explain the mechanism of carbon nanotube nucleation and growth and in the processes I was the first person to correctly predict the physicochemical basis of ferromagnetism in carbon in July 2000.  By the Little Effect, I realize carbon's ferromagnetism and understood the carbon nanotube formation as a chemical reaction between two magnets: the ferrocatalysts and the carbon.  In the case of electric arc and laser formation of carbon nanotube, I proposed the carbon is autocatalytic and is ferromagnetic itself (ferrocarbon) in autocatalyzing carbon nanotube formation under the conditions in the plasma.  I expanded the model to understand the general distinctions of ferrocatalyst (Fe, Co, and Ni) in catalyzing diamond, graphene, carbon nanotube and graphite under different conditions of the catalysts.

On the basis of the Little Effect I have initiated and discovered a new branch of chemistry which I call: ferrochemistry.  The theory of the Little Effect and this new area of ferrochemistry thoroughly explain this observation of Nichols and Franklin and the initiator of this post.  I have developed important mechanisms for understanding biochemical reactions on the basis of the Little Effect and ferrochemistry.   The weak acid effects observed by Nichols on activating Fe fit perfectly my proposed biochemistry by ferrochemistry.

Sincerely,
Reginald B. Little

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 03:00:01 AM »
Please don't cross post.

Topic locked so that you can't make more mess. Discussion continues here: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=41982.0
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links