April 28, 2024, 09:54:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How many grammes of sodium hydrogen carbonate is needed to produce 424g of sodiu  (Read 5818 times)

Offline busi6292

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello I have the question:

How many grammes of sodium hydrogen carbonate is needed to produce 424g of sodium carbonate.

Would anyone please give me a step by step answer on how to do this on so I know how to do the other questions I have please. The equation I have is 2NaHCO3 -----> Na2CO3 + H20 + CO2.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 01:20:13 PM by busi6292 »

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
How many moles of Na2CO3 do you need to make?

Offline busi6292

I guess it would be one.

Thanks

Offline UG

• Mole Snacks: +134/-15
I'm afraid you guessed wrong  :-X

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
Perhaps see a similar problem that we worked through at http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=34640.msg132688 , and see if that helps some.

Offline busi6292

Ok it is moles = mass/RAM so the answer is 4 moles.

The answer I got is 672grams is that right?

The other link was not explained too well to be honest.

Thanks for the help.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
Correct

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
The other link was not explained too well to be honest.

Thanks for the help.

As DrCMS has noted, this is correct.

I'm intrigued to learn what difficulties you had understanding my work through on the other page - just for future reference. Bear in mind fora are very staccato, so the stop start nature is inherent in the system, but is there anything else?

Offline busi6292

lol well yes it was because you kept asking the other guy questions and also he sometimes said somethings which were wrong instead of just doing a detailed answer which is why sometimes I post on yahoo answers!! No offence

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
lol well yes it was because you kept asking the other guy questions and also he sometimes said somethings which were wrong instead of just doing a detailed answer which is why sometimes I post on yahoo answers!! No offence

No offence taken, I wouldn't have brought it up otherwise. Thanks for the feedback.

Perhaps I need to work on my application of the Socratic method ( http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Socratic_method&oldid=304929825 ), which we often try and use here. Giving a detailed answer straight off the middle of the bat might be useful in the near future, but what happens next week, next year in the exams, or ten years down the track at work when the number or compounds are slightly different? I was trying (and to be honest, still not sure if I was successful, to see how much the OP really knew about their problem). I try and do the same on yahoo answers too, but not sure of the success there either.

Still, you managed to get the right answer in the end here, so you must have picked something up somewhere :)

S

Offline busi6292

Personally not my prefered way of learning!!

Sponsored Links