April 28, 2024, 02:56:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Various diagrams (Lewis and structural)  (Read 9281 times)

Offline SimoneMeyer

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Various diagrams (Lewis and structural)
« on: August 02, 2009, 02:13:27 PM »
I have a question in my ILC course that asks me to draw a Lewis Structure as well as a Structural Diagram for various molecules, such as C2H2, CS2, etc.

Anyhow, my ILC book mentions the Structural diagram here and there, but never explains it. Yet, it goes in depth with the Lewis Structure. I was simply wondering how the two structures are different (I have attempted to "google" it, but in vain.). The Lewis Structure is known as a structural diagram, yes? This is why I am confused.

I would greatly appreciate an example of the two structures for the same molecule.

Thank you for your time.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Various diagrams (Lewis and structural)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 02:40:15 PM »
I can't say I recall use of the phrase "Lewis structure", but could it mean things like dot and cross diagrams? and structural diagram for the same being Cl-Cl ?

Offline SimoneMeyer

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 05:05:45 PM »
So, for acetylene would the Lewis structure be the first, and the structural diagram be the second?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 02:12:24 AM »
So, for acetylene would the Lewis structure be the first, and the structural diagram be the second?

If that's the use of the terms, and you mean the structural diagram of acetone / propanone, yes. I'm not 100% if that is how the terms are used, though. The structural diagram of acetylene would be more like HC(3 parallel, horizontal lines)CH.

Offline kd.gns

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:55:33 AM »
Lewis structures refers to Lewis dot structures most likely, where valence electrons are shown. I would guess that the structure diagrams would be where you place lines to represent bonds, and omit drawing lone pairs, wedges and dashes could help show a more three dimensional structure than dot structures can

Offline amir

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 12:09:42 PM »
I have a question in my ILC course that asks me to draw a Lewis Structure as well as a Structural Diagram for various molecules, such as C2H2, CS2, etc.

Anyhow, my ILC book mentions the Structural diagram here and there, but never explains it. Yet, it goes in depth with the Lewis Structure. I was simply wondering how the two structures are different (I have attempted to "google" it, but in vain.). The Lewis Structure is known as a structural diagram, yes? This is why I am confused.

I would greatly appreciate an example of the two structures for the same molecule.

Thank you for your time.

hi, hope you are fine. in Lewis Structure : we show bonding and no bonding electrons that any substance have, we don't show bonds,bonding angels and geometry of molecules, but in structure diagerams we shoudn't show electrons, we just show bonds, bond angel and geometry of molecule in respect of hibridation. in this link u can see an example of structure diagram http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtualText/intro3.htm[/color] and in link u can see a lewis structure http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_structure. hope these are be useful. please ask me any question that you have.
all the best
 Amir

Sponsored Links