April 25, 2024, 03:32:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Maths in chemical engineering??!!!  (Read 22553 times)

Offline jambuster14

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Maths in chemical engineering??!!!
« on: August 03, 2009, 05:50:44 AM »
hey...
I hav just finished high school, and am intersted in applying for chemical engineering, but i just wanted to know how much maths is involved in chemical engineering, and can we say that chemical engineering involves the least maths as compared with other types of engineering.??

plz tell me as much as  u can..

thanx

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Re: Maths in chemical engineering??!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 11:26:59 PM »
Hi jambuster14,

I hate to break the news to you, there is a great deal of math in all engineering.

Choose the discipline that you enjoy the most, and the math will get better (better with practice).

Best wishes,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline jambuster14

• Very New Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:48:39 AM »
Hey....

Thanx eugene for your reply...

well...the only thing that i am concerned about chemical engineering, is the job prospectus, will i be able to easily get a job, if u say compare it with other types of engineering like mechanical engineering or electrical engineering??

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 12:04:31 AM »
Hi jambuster14,

The jobs which require engineers for longer term employment are electrical engineering. Mechanical engineering is second. A chemical engineer is a specialized mechanical engineer (at least this is the view in the North American market).

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline marciobarbalho

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 05:50:02 PM »
A chemical engineer is a specialized mechanical engineer (at least this is the view in the North American market).

Eugene

I feel a bit offended by the statement above. It's a pity people think like that, it is clear the importance of Chemical Engineering is misunderstood.

Offline Gerard

• Mole Snacks: +13/-13
  • "pressure makes diamond"
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 01:17:02 PM »
ok how many maths do chemical engineering have let me count the ways:
algebra
trigonometry
differential calculus
integral calculus
analytic geometry
differential equations
advance and applied mathematics
transport phenomena
discreet algebra
"Charles! Charles! That's it Mr. Charles Darwin get out of this room, I told you once and I told you twice not to tease your fellow Mr. Arrhenius!"

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 02:32:39 PM »

Maybe in your oil field experience, but that has not been my experience.

"A chemical engineer is a specialized mechanical engineer (at least this is the view in the North American market)."

A specialized mechanical engineer?  Dude how do you make a statement like that?  You claim to be an oil field chemist.  Who do you think designs the distillation columns and reactors for refineries?  After the oil is refined, what engineers do you think design the reaction parameters to produce specialty chemicals?

Jobs for chemical engineers:
Plastics
oil refinery
chemical manufacturing
manufacturing in general
sanitation
biofuels
biopolymers
water remediation

I feel the opportunities are endless. However, if I had to do all again, I would look to get into water, biofuels, or biopolymers.

Offline Gerard

• Mole Snacks: +13/-13
  • "pressure makes diamond"
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 02:27:04 PM »
I am a chemical engineering graduate but i prefer to be in the field of biomedical engineering
"Charles! Charles! That's it Mr. Charles Darwin get out of this room, I told you once and I told you twice not to tease your fellow Mr. Arrhenius!"

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 03:34:13 PM »
As far as I'm concerned a chemical engineer is someone who thinks they're a great chemist and engineer when in truth they're neither.

Offline typhoon2028

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 01:35:17 PM »
As far as I'm concerned a chemical engineer is someone who thinks they're a great chemist and engineer when in truth they're neither.

Funny

Though, I am surprised of the lack of general chemical knowledge amongst my fellow coworkers who are chemical engineers.

FYI, we chemical engineers also have ignorant jokes like that about chemists and civil engineers.  It is not that we think we are great chemists or great engineers, we just suffer from elitism.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 06:12:14 PM »

Funny

It was not meant to be funny it is my honest opinion after 15 years as a PhD chemist working in process chemistry.  In all that time there is only 1 chemical engineer that I have met that I would trust.   He is a German PhD chemical engineer and very very good while all the other English and American undergrad chemical engineers I've met have been useless.  The problem is most of them seem to think they know the chemistry better than me and also understand the engineering side as well.  Almost to a man they have been arrogant fools who have caused me extra work and trouble, while thinking they are doing a good job.

Offline typhoon2028

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 01:14:20 PM »

Funny

It was not meant to be funny it is my honest opinion after 15 years as a PhD chemist working in process chemistry.  In all that time there is only 1 chemical engineer that I have met that I would trust.   He is a German PhD chemical engineer and very very good while all the other English and American undergrad chemical engineers I've met have been useless.  The problem is most of them seem to think they know the chemistry better than me and also understand the engineering side as well.  Almost to a man they have been arrogant fools who have caused me extra work and trouble, while thinking they are doing a good job.

"A degree doesn't make the man"

It is unfortunate about American chemical engineers.  My company has struggled to hire decent young engineers.  I say this and I am not even 30, but I don't claim to be an expert at anything.

What kind of work do you do?

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 04:31:55 PM »
Currently I'm the technical manager for a contract manufacturing company.

Sponsored Links