April 19, 2024, 09:01:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Year 11 Chemistry EEI  (Read 6205 times)

Offline kemkid794

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Year 11 Chemistry EEI
« on: August 05, 2009, 08:31:13 PM »
Hi, I've been having a few problems with a chemistry EEI that I have and I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out a little bit.

The assignment is called Diffusion of Ions and I have to use several materials and precipitate them in a petri dish of water. It has been suggested that I use sodium hydroxide as the anion, however, I am stuck with the cations I need to use that will precipitate. I have been told that 2+ transition metals will be useful but I'm not sure which ones are 2+ beyond lead and iron, and don't know whether or not they will precipitate from sodium hydroxide.

Please if anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!!

Offline UG

• Mole Snacks: +134/-15
Re: Year 11 Chemistry EEI
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 01:01:18 AM »
Lead(II), iron(II), copper(II), Magnesium(II), zinc(II) compounds should all produce insoluble hydroxides when added to sodium hydroxide.

Offline kemkid794

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:11:28 PM »
Thanks heaps man. :D

Offline kemkid794

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 03:25:16 AM »
With those metals, is it possible to make them into an aqueous solution? Like what can be mixed with them to turn them into an aqueous solution? Like copper nitrate? And will that react with sodium hydroxide in a way that will precipitate them?

Offline UG

• Mole Snacks: +134/-15
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 05:49:45 AM »
All nitrates are soluble. Lead nitrate is the only soluble compound. Iron(II) chloride, iodide and sulphate are soluble, same goes for magnesium and zinc, copper(II) chloride and sulphate are soluble.

Sponsored Links