April 27, 2024, 12:40:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Am I making sulfur at work by accident?  (Read 15840 times)

Offline ConfusedWaitress137

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Am I making sulfur at work by accident?
« on: August 07, 2009, 09:05:51 PM »
Okay, to start, I'm not a student, I don't know much about chemistry. I'm actually a waitress at a local bar. So chemistry really isn't my strong point. But I do know what sulfur smells like; rotten eggs. Let me pose my question like this: When I wipe out the ashtrays at work, I use a mixture of vinegar and water. When I do, and the water/vinegar mixes with the cigarette ashes, I always smell sulfur. Since I do this on the patio, I can't think of anything else it could be. So, am I accidentally making some kind of sulfur or something similar when I mix vinegar with cigarette ashes? (I honestly ask out of ignorance, please don't talk down to me and make me feel any more stupid. Thank you!)

Offline zxt

• Mole Snacks: +3/-5
Re: Am I making sulfur at work by accident?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 12:20:49 AM »
First,this question is very interesting and good and you observe things around us very carefully and have a strong desire of new knowledge.Though I major in chemical engineering, I yet don't know what happened there.But I don't think sulfur is made,something smells like sulfur may be. Due to my limited chemical knowledge, I can't give you a exactly answer and I still hope you keep your interest in observation and especially in chemistry.

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 03:44:13 AM »
I do not know if any of the real chemists here will answer this question, since it has the possibilities of many answers. Also, I would think unless you are studying the subject and experimenting you would not have any sure idea as to how you get the rotten egg smell.

Most likely the rotten egg smell you observe is sulfur dioxide which is a gas. Sulfur at room temperature is usually solid.

Tobacco products are not a single substance. First of all the tobacco leaf is a complex chemical structure. Plus when making tobacco products the manufacturer uses all kinds of additives, like molasses. So when you suck in tobacco smoke you are getting a bunch of nasty burnt stuff in your lungs.

I will make a wild guess that the acetic acid in the vinegar you are using to clean with is reacting with the sulfur compound in molasses to form sulfur dioxide.

Since I am not a real chemist, but one who dabbles in science, I would take my guess with a grain of salt.

I would not bet my shirt on this or you may end up a topless waitress (sorry I could not resist).

Good luck in your endeavors.

Offline jcjlf

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 07:44:36 AM »
But I do know what sulfur smells like; rotten eggs. Let me pose my question like this: When I wipe out the ashtrays at work, I use a mixture of vinegar and water. When I do, and the water/vinegar mixes with the cigarette ashes, I always smell sulfur. Since I do this on the patio, I can't think of anything else it could be. So, am I accidentally making some kind of sulfur or something similar when I mix vinegar with cigarette ashes? (I honestly ask out of ignorance, please don't talk down to me and make me feel any more stupid. Thank you!)
Dear waitress,
What you smell is neither sulphur (a solid without any smell) neither sulpur dioxide (a gas with a stinging, prickly odour, formed by burning sulphur or its compunds, often smelled when you strike a match too close to your nose) but hydrogen sulphide, formula H2S.
This compund forms by a chemical reaction between the vinegar (an acid) and small amounts of metal sulphides (= compounds of a metal and sulphur). It has the well-known rotten-egg odour.
These metal sulphides may be present in the ashes or may be contaminations in iron ash trays.
Hydrogen sulphide (official name: Dihydrogen sulphide) is also a compound that forms when proteins degrade and therefore is present in gaseous mixtures that leave all animals (including humans) from their guts. (I'm a bit unwilling to use the word fart...)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 07:57:12 AM »
hydrogen sulphide, formula H2S.
This compund forms by a chemical reaction between the vinegar (an acid) and small amounts of metal sulphides (= compounds of a metal and sulphur). It has the well-known rotten-egg odour.
These metal sulphides may be present in the ashes or may be contaminations in iron ash trays.

Seconded.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 04:21:29 PM »
sulfur dioxide

my mistake
it should be hydrogen sulphide

Offline ConfusedWaitress137

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 02:04:38 AM »
Oh cool! Now, can I still be making that if the ashtrays aren't metal? They're plastic surprisingly...this almost makes me want to study chemistry...its really neat how some things react with each other and make totally new things:) (I am quite aware that probably made me sound like a 4 year old, but it's just that most people don't go around thinking about chemical reactions in their everyday tasks...that and I couldn't think of a better way to phrase that as I write this at 2am and I'm pretty tired) Thanks for the information everyone! Really made my day to learn something new :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 03:54:47 AM »
Now, can I still be making that if the ashtrays aren't metal?

Yes. Ash contains some metals on its own.

It doesn't necesarilly mean that's the exact way it happens (I mead - metal sulfides reacting with the acid), but this explanation sounds plausible.

this almost makes me want to study chemistry...its really neat how some things react with each other and make totally new things:) (I am quite aware that probably made me sound like a 4 year old, but it's just that most people don't go around thinking about chemical reactions in their everyday tasks...that and I couldn't think of a better way to phrase that as I write this at 2am and I'm pretty tired) Thanks for the information everyone! Really made my day to learn something new :)

Welcome to the club :) Curiosity and will to understand what, why and how is going on around is what pushed most of us where we are now :)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links