April 18, 2024, 04:27:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical calculator poll  (Read 4372 times)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Chemical calculator poll
« on: May 28, 2005, 08:00:10 PM »
Some of you are aware of the fact I have already prepared two chemical calculators (see signature). I am planning to extend the line of programs and I have several ideas about what could the next calculator do. However, before starting work I decided to do a quick poll:

What type of calculations would you like to have automated?

Which calculations are the most tedious?

Which calculations are eating most of your time, regardless of the fact that you know how to do them?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re:Chemical calculator poll
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 02:48:09 AM »
heat of reaction? if u can find a standard enthalphy change for some common bonds that is.
one learns best by teaching

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Chemical calculator poll
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 06:00:21 PM »
how about a calculator that allows you to interpolate data from tables.

example: steam
1. specify the pressure and the program returns the saturation temperature, enthalpy and entropy
2. specify any of the two: temperature, pressure, enthalpy, entropy, and the program returns the other two values and also state the state of the steam
3. may return other data such as specific volume, density, etc

it would be nice if the calculator supports steam, ammonia, air, co2, n2 and other common refrigerants.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links