April 20, 2024, 05:08:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Zaitsev vs Hoffmann elimination and varying alkyl halides  (Read 12279 times)

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Zaitsev vs Hoffmann elimination and varying alkyl halides
« on: August 10, 2009, 09:17:16 PM »
I came across a practice passage recently that stated the poorer the halide leaving group (F -> Cl -> Br -> I) the higher the percentage of Hoffmann elimination.  Intuition tells me it would be the other way around.  What's going on here?

Offline ufalynn88

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Zaitsev vs Hoffmann elimination and varying alkyl halides
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:03:39 PM »
well, by definition the Zaitsev product is the most favorable, and the hoffman often the least....thus, the better the halide as a LG the higher percentage of zaitsev product..and the worse the halide, the higher percentage of hoffman (:

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:59:10 PM »
I came across a practice passage recently that stated the poorer the halide leaving group (F -> Cl -> Br -> I) the higher the percentage of Hoffmann elimination.  Intuition tells me it would be the other way around.  What's going on here?

A poor leaving group will push the reaction towards the E1cb mechanism - so you will have a transition state somewhere between an E2 and E1cb - with the weakening of the C-H bond before weakening of the C-F bond. This means you get build up of partial negative charge in the transition state. For a simple haloalkane the best carbon to accommodate this partial negative charge is the least substituted (primary carbanions are more stable than secondary etc.) resulting in Hofmann elimination proceeding via a lower energy transition state => major product - it's a kinetic effect.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 07:12:33 PM »
Awesome, got it! thanks   :)

Sponsored Links