April 25, 2024, 07:07:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Simple Nomenclature Question  (Read 3287 times)

Offline danago

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Simple Nomenclature Question
« on: August 13, 2009, 09:04:42 AM »
A simple example: 1-propanol.

That is exactly how my textbook would name propyl alcohol, however i have seen some other sources using the name propan-1-ol.

Is it common to have the number of the functional group immediately after the parent alkyl group name as in the latter case? Is there a general preference of one method over the other?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Re: Simple Nomenclature Question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:15:25 AM »
IUPAC would probably say the 'most correct' way to name that alcohol is propan-1-ol.  Nobody would be confused, however, if you wrote 1-propanol.

Using propan-1-ol removes all ambiguity over the positions of substituents in a given compound.  For a simple, monofunctionalized molecule like propanol, whether you put the 1 at the beginning or in the middle is ultimately inconsequential.  When you start adding in other functionality, like double bonds or chlorides or whatever, the locant becomes increasingly important.  Therefore, it removes ambiguity to put the locant as close to the substituent as possible. 

You should check with your individual prof, but in my book 1-propanol and propan-1-ol are synonymous, identical, and interchangeable, even if the latter is the most technically correct.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline danago

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Simple Nomenclature Question
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 09:18:39 AM »
IUPAC would probably say the 'most correct' way to name that alcohol is propan-1-ol.  Nobody would be confused, however, if you wrote 1-propanol.

Using propan-1-ol removes all ambiguity over the positions of substituents in a given compound.  For a simple, monofunctionalized molecule like propanol, whether you put the 1 at the beginning or in the middle is ultimately inconsequential.  When you start adding in other functionality, like double bonds or chlorides or whatever, the locant becomes increasingly important.  Therefore, it removes ambiguity to put the locant as close to the substituent as possible. 

You should check with your individual prof, but in my book 1-propanol and propan-1-ol are synonymous, identical, and interchangeable, even if the latter is the most technically correct.

Thanks for the fast reply. Answers my question perfectly :)

Sponsored Links