April 18, 2024, 08:13:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ideas and thoughts on my PRELIMINARY CHEMISTRY TASK : ENERGY & HEAT OF COMBUSTI  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Gustaviito

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hey guys! Just using this as a form of research.

So this is my 3rd task of chemistry and falls under the topic of: Energy

So I'll type the general task:

In this task you are to design and perform an experiment to determine which fuel, out of the two fuels(methanol and ethanol), would be the better choice to take on an overnight camping trip. These results need to be compared to published data.

Your camping trip will be at a national park, so you may not use wood. You will need to consider the heat of combustion and safety of the fuel in making your final decision

Aim:  To determine the experimental heat of combustion of the selected fuels, to decide which would be the better choice.

To present a report with experimental results justifying the choice.

This practical will be performed at school.

So, I'm thinking of using a calorimeter to determine this through the principles of water and it's heat capacity.

What I'll do first is perform some accurate theoretical study, and then see how I can obtain my experiment results to make them as close as possible to my theoretical results. (discrepancies)

Anyways guys, any advice, ideas or thoughts would be very much appreciated. It's due in two weeks, so I am in no rush. I just want to start early.

Thanks guys !

Offline Gustaviito

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
*Ignore me, I am impatient*.

Sponsored Links