March 29, 2024, 07:41:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Concentrating H2O2 or N2O  (Read 6365 times)

Offline Blackshark

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Concentrating H2O2 or N2O
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:50:39 PM »
     Recently I've become more and more interested in bipropellant rockets and thought it would be interesting to start at least designing one if not building a small one. Through research I've noticed Hydrogen Peroxide and Nitrous Oxide are the two most popular oxidisers for a rocket, but they are needed in high concentrations. If someone could tell me in their opinion which is easier, and safer, to concentrate to a level of around 90% or more, and how to go about doing this it would be greatly appreciated. The more information about how to go about doing this the better, It would suck if I set all the designs to incorporate one fuel and then found out that I need something unobtainable.
Thanks
-Mark
Usershark@aol.com

Offline bartek

Re: Concentrating H2O2 or N2O
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 06:21:18 AM »
Where exactly would you like to carry out the concentration process? The only reasonable way I've heard about, to obtain concentrated H2O2 (for example from 30%) is vacuum distillation. It doesn't varry from the ordinary distillation much, but the still receiver must be equipped with with a vacuum inlet connected to a vacuum pump(that's why I asked you where you intend to do this). You have to remeber, that the more the concentration increases, the more unstable H2O2 becomes. Distilling under ordinary conditions would fail. Also the 90% H2O2 needs special handling after distillation. It must be kept in lower temperature, in a dark container with extremely smooth inner surface (to prevent decomposition) You could also start with the 70% H2O2, i think it's available to buy.

Offline Blackshark

• Very New Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 04:15:35 PM »
The place I will carry this out will vary depending where I am in a year or a few from now. I'm expecting to have access to at least university laboratories, or if I need to I can find another place to do this. That's why I'd like to know the methods for concentrating these substances. Thanks for the information, I will look further into that method. Would you know if N2O is safer or easier to concentrate? Would I use the same method?

Offline bartek

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 04:38:55 PM »
No, you wouldn't, at room temperature N2O is a gas that must be stored under high pressure, any attepmt to purificate needs temperature of -90. Nitrous oxide has wide scientific use, and there is great variety of sources where you can buy liquefied, already purificated N2O in metal bottles. You are to choose which one of these oxidants is more suitable for you :)

Sponsored Links