April 27, 2024, 01:16:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Conversion of one ionic compound to another.  (Read 2584 times)

Offline agrocadabra

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Conversion of one ionic compound to another.
« on: August 16, 2009, 09:31:23 AM »
Ok so i'm doing chemistry 1 at uni and have done my first practical. I haven't much background at all in chemistry as I have taken it as an elective for my BEng(elec). I am finding it rather confusing with so many words to remember and so many links to be made between those words to understand. Perhaps i'm a stupid ape? Anyway one of the post prac questions is on conversion of one ionic (compoud?) to another. The first is potassium carbonate to zinc carbonate. I had mix an aqeuos solution ( this just means a liquid solution right.. it doesnt mean its suspended in water or anything?) of potassium carbonate and zinc nitrate then filter the zinc carbonate out. I figured that because potassium carbonate is soluble with a nitrate compound (well this is what I garnered from the prac eg nitrates are generally soluble with car) then this could possibly bring about the substance. Please I am asking to be given the straight up answer. Just tell me if I am completely lost and where I should start looking. Thankyou!

Offline shoofy2

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Conversion of one ionic compound to another.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 12:44:55 PM »
I'm not 100% that I comprehended your wording (try breaking it down with less tangents), but I think you are trying to selectively precipitate:

You are right in looking at the concept of solubility for your answer.

You need to precipitate out a certain compound and leave the other in solution. You will probably need a table of values to help you.

Hopefully this points you in the right direction.

Sponsored Links