April 26, 2024, 10:41:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Problem: Vigorous reaction of Ether with mixture of..  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Momer

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Problem: Vigorous reaction of Ether with mixture of..
« on: August 05, 2009, 04:15:16 PM »
Hi, I'm pharmacy student in my third year in the SIUST university, I'm conducting a research which is goal the synthesis of a new derivative of Amoxiciline.

The problem is; I made a mixture of 3 and 4-NitroPhthalic acid by the nitration of Phthalic acid according to the procedure in Vogel, I isolated the 3-nitrophthalic acid from the mixture as indicated in Vogel, until now every thing is fine. The remaining (4-phthalic acid) in the mother liquor can be isolated as follow ( this procedure from vogel):
"(1) The mother liquors from the washings and recrystallisations are saved for the
recovery of the 4-nitrophthalic acid. The combined mother liquors are concentrated
to a small bulk and the acid is extracted with ether. Upon esterification by
the Fischer - Speier method, the 3-nitro acid forms only the acid ester and may be
removed by shaking the product with sodium carbonate solution, whilst the neutral
ester of 4-nitrophthalic acid remains unaffected. Hydrolysis of the neutral ester
gives the pure 4-nitrophthalic acid, m.p. 165°.
(2) The acid may also be crystallised from glacial acetic acid."

After I've concentrated it to small bulk, I prepare it to extracted with ether, once I add the ether to the mixture, a vigorous reaction happened with a high continuous reddish gas production
(NO2) with high temperature.

Notes:
1. I tried to add the ether to concentrated sulfuric acid, nothing happened.
2. I tried to add it to concentrated nitric acid, nothing happened.
3. I tried add it to their mixture, the same vigorous reaction happened.
4. After the addition of a sufficient amount of ether until the reaction is stopped, two immiscible layer were formed. By extraction the ether layer, I got a bright yellow solid mass with an acetic acid like smell.
5. On another beaker, I concentrated a small amount of that mother liquor from 100ml to 10 ml, but nothing happened when I added ether, taking the ether layer I got a white solid mass without acetic acid smells.
6. To see that reaction you can download this movie.http://www.ionsclub.com/col/images/topicspic/Ether2.rar

I hope I could find what is this reaction, why It happened like that and what are the products?

If you read until here, thanks for your concern.

Offline KritikalMass

• Mole Snacks: +9/-6
Re: Problem: Vigorous reaction of Ether with mixture of..
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:02:06 PM »
Hey that was a really great post. I am sorry no one bothered to respond to your question after you went through so much trouble of making an informative, well thought out post. Hope everything turned out ok.

Sponsored Links