April 20, 2024, 08:17:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction in Crude oils  (Read 3751 times)

Offline saqi78

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Reaction in Crude oils
« on: September 29, 2009, 02:51:38 AM »
I need help for prediction of chemical reaction in crude oil at different temperature.
I am using cold finger device at different temperatures, and then checking the possible reactions at those temperatures, mainly reaction with metals.
In my view I shall analyse the product on GC, but is it a good idea?, I am not sure about it, can any one help me?

Offline nextpauling

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Reaction in Crude oils
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 06:25:59 PM »
What is the reaction you're looking for?  Typically a cold finger is not used to carry out reactions...it's used to crystallize paraffin wax from the crude oil.  If you are in fact analyzing paraffin, you might have a tough time with GC since your sample must be vaporized.

Offline saqi78

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:16:21 PM »
Yeah you are right that cold finger is used for crystallization purpose, but I want to check crude oils reaction with metals at 250 degree celcius and above, when I increase the temperature of the crude oil there should be some reaction due to catalytic activity of the metals or salts.
But the problem is that how I would analyse my product, I ll get some waxes on cold finger may be with some other products. To recognize the products should I use GC or GCMS or FTIR?

Offline nextpauling

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 04:27:11 PM »
If possible, I would say use both GCMS and FTIR...GCMS will give you the molecular weigths of your products, and FTIR can give you a little more info on the functional groups and carbon chain if you're lucky.

Sponsored Links