April 28, 2024, 07:01:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic Chem + Pharmacology?  (Read 5011 times)

Offline SerraAvatar

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Organic Chem + Pharmacology?
« on: August 29, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
Hello to all you hardcore chemists!

I'm trying to draw a connection between organic chemistry and pharmacology as a means of finding a related graduate program.

Anyone has any interesting topics that I could look into? All suggestions and efforts are greatly valued.

Thanks guys! First time posting here:)

Offline Fridushka

• Mole Snacks: +17/-9
Re: Organic Chem + Pharmacology?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 06:37:46 AM »
well im doing pharmaceutical cheistry..and im thinking to continue my MS with pharmachology, so my advisor advices me to take biological courses as my electives, in order not to take remidial, so if your still in your BS take some xtra biological courses and take your major electives the pharmaceutical courses if your university offers!
wish you the best of luck nice to meet you :D

Offline SerraAvatar

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:33:34 AM »
Hi, thanks for the reply:) It's very nice meeting you too!

I'm doing pharm chem as well!

I was actually thinking about taking more Organic and inorganic chem rather than BIOC, hmm, looks like I should reconsider. I'll be sure to take your suggestion into consideration.

Enjoy your study and good luck to you too.

Offline Fridushka

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 11:28:25 AM »
well we dont have more then 2 courses of each organic and inorganic chems and also each 1 has a 2 cr of labs..so maybe thats why my advisor dont have any other choice else then the BIO courses:P :P
but he advices by saying that a BS in pharmacy consist of CHMs and BIOs..so that's why we have to take the BIOs..whatever..
Good luck again :)

Offline Med90

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 12:41:49 PM »
medchem or biochem  :)

Offline Cultivator

• Mole Snacks: +0/-6
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 05:50:43 PM »
Hi SerraAvatar. I am new to this wonderful forum, but not new to chemforums and chemistry. I did my B.Sc in pharmaceutical and biological chemistry, and continuing into a grad education in chemistry.

During my 4 years of that applied B.Sc. program, I had a chance to take about 1 full year of courses, other than a normal chemistry program core, that were opened for biochemists (advanced biochem courses) and starting pharmacists and pharmacologists.

I was always wondering what way to go, in order to develop a connection of hardcore chemistry and medicinal applications of it, and I at the end stayed in chemistry. The reason for that is that without a through understanding of organic chemistry, you would depend on a chemist to to the hard job of thinking and telling you which of your ideas will or will not work, physically and realistically.

Organic chemistry is the key to all understanding in all related fields; without it people only know names of molecules, without having an understanding of the true basis of actions of molecules in living systems. In order to succeed, you need to have a chemical sense.

Biologists (sorry if I offend anyone), know only the result, without getting into the real, physical reasons. Biochemists are generally the ones who have troubles with the scientific core of chemistry, but their emphasis, instead, is put onto the qualitative classification of molecular systems. I would define Biochemistry as science of "macroscopic chemistry".

A biochemist (as well as a pharmacologist) will often come to a chemist to tell him what molecule he wants to be made to achieve the goal. (it's all simplified, but I hope you will get the point).

I can write forever... But in short, what I wanted to say is that it is rare for a chemist to have a bio-related knowledge, but if "it" does have it, then "it" can develop much more directed things than one that doesn't try to learn either one of the fields. It's like all in one - a biologist and a creator. It helps.

To conclude all this jabbering, I would say that organic chemistry is the most valuable subject for pharma related people. The deeper you go into it, the better results you will get to. Bio/Pharma knowledge is something that can be learned on the side, but organic chemistry will tell you all about where it comes from.

There is a difference between having a key and borrowing it.

Offline Fridushka

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:54:43 AM »
Nice to here all those;)
Really thanks
Good luck:)

Sponsored Links