April 20, 2024, 07:13:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 21st Century Science Task  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Liko

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
21st Century Science Task
« on: August 30, 2009, 10:48:01 AM »
hey guys i have to do some research project for school, I've chosen to do mine on Wolfgang Paoli

this is my first kinda statement thing.. good or bad ?

Paoli’s most considerable input to physics was his Exclusion principle or Aufbau principal. In this principal Paoli clearly recognizes that no two atoms can ever be in the same quantum state consequently no two electrons in the same atom can have the same set of quantum numbers, this allowed him to give a clear quantum description of electron distribution within different atomic energy states. Paoli was able to explain the electrical and thermal properties of metals through a well devised atomic model. Paoli was also the first to discover the existence of neutrino an uncharged and mass less particle that carries off energy in radioactive beta decay (beta decay is a type of radioactive decay that emits a beta particle, electron or positron)     

Offline Sam (NG)

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +12/-3
  • Surface Modification
Re: 21st Century Science Task
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 11:20:16 AM »
First thing to notice is that his name is spelt Pauli ;)

The way the first sentence is written makes it sound like the Pauli Exclusion Principle and Aufbau Principle are the same thing, so I suggest that you reword it (also, keep your eye on the spelling of principle).  The principle that you go on to incorrectly describe is the Pauli Exclusion Principle in which no two identical fermions (in the case of atoms or molecules, most commonly electrons) can occupy the same quantum state.  This means for electrons that no electron can have the same 4 quantum numbers as another electron.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:33:13 AM by Sam (UoN) »

Offline Liko

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 09:16:13 PM »
was i describing anything at all relavent the either principles?

Offline renge ishyo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-14
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 09:23:47 PM »
Not that I want to alarm you, but do you mean 21st century science task or 20th century? Wolfgang Pauli did all his work in the 20th century (1901-2000), while the 21st century has only 9 years in it so far (2001-2009). Your teacher might be asking you to write about something more recent.

Offline Liko

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:29:44 PM »
oh thats just the name of the class.. at our school we have names for subjects like "Real world science" and im in "21st century science" the difference is the topics they cover

Sponsored Links