April 26, 2024, 01:58:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: questions about nucleophiles and base  (Read 6242 times)

Offline kor

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
questions about nucleophiles and base
« on: September 08, 2009, 05:15:49 AM »
Why I- is a good nucleophile but it is a weak base??
Isn't a good nucleophile is always a good base ?

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Re: questions about nucleophiles and base
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:24:16 AM »
I think the "environment" of the I- may be relevant here

Hydroiodic acid, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_iodide, has a very large (1010) value for Ka. So HI readily dissociates, so HI(aq) is a strong acid. Now I- is the complementary base (attracts H+). By the simple rule: Strong acid  :rarrow: weak (complementary) base, I- is a weak base.

The "strength" of a nucleophile is determined solely by the density of its negative charge. Since, I- is actually an ion rather then a slightly (delta) negative part of a polar molecule, then I- (like the other halide ions) will be an effective nucleophile. Now, in practical terms, how is the I-  "delivered" to the delta positive centre in an organic molecule? We can't use an aqueous solution of a sodium or potassium salt since the ionic aqueous solution won't mix with an organic compound - so I guess we have to use polar covalent HI gas.

That's my opinion.

Clive

Offline kor

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 09:23:50 AM »
I think the "environment" of the I- may be relevant here

Hydroiodic acid, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_iodide, has a very large (1010) value for Ka. So HI readily dissociates, so HI(aq) is a strong acid. Now I- is the complementary base (attracts H+). By the simple rule: Strong acid  :rarrow: weak (complementary) base, I- is a weak base.

The "strength" of a nucleophile is determined solely by the density of its negative charge. Since, I- is actually an ion rather then a slightly (delta) negative part of a polar molecule, then I- (like the other halide ions) will be an effective nucleophile. Now, in practical terms, how is the I-  "delivered" to the delta positive centre in an organic molecule? We can't use an aqueous solution of a sodium or potassium salt since the ionic aqueous solution won't mix with an organic compound - so I guess we have to use polar covalent HI gas.

That's my opinion.

Clive
thank you  :)
A good nucleophile is a good base unless the ions/atoms is too big ,RIGHT??

Offline renge ishyo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-14
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:23:28 PM »
I was taught that I- was a poor nucleophile and a weak base (it is a good leaving group).

Offline kor

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 02:14:40 AM »
I was taught that I- was a poor nucleophile and a weak base (it is a good leaving group).
]
However, I was taught that I- was a good nucleophile and a weak base
So, I use google :)
http://walba.colorado.edu/substitution%20and%20elim%27n%20%2702.htm

Sponsored Links